Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Africom Stands Up 2006-2017

Congratulations to MG Garrett and to SETAF. I can vouch that he is a leader who reaches down through the bureaucracy to take care of soldiers and the Army. Given the range of tough missions US Army Africa will take on, they are off to a good start.
    Best Regards, Rob

Default Africom in the headlines

An article that comments on many aspects of US policy in Africa, especially AFRICOM's support for Ugandab action against the Lord's Resistance Army (so will copy in that thread too): http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/stevecoll/

davidbfpo

Default AFRICOM comes, but for whom and why?

Digital Congo commentary on AFRICOM's real agenda

The author puts a brief positive spin on AFRICOM training the FARDC, but concludes their real mission concentrates on the protection of American miners against "possible predators". Citing instability in the east and discipline of certain FARDC units and their leadership.

More at the link...
    If you want to blend in, take the bus

Default Primer for AFRICOM staff

Hat tip to Randy Borum (SWC) member, a SSI paper 'Security and Stability in Africa: A Development Approach' and in summary:
    The security and stability of Africa has recently become an important national issue readily seen in the increased time, effort, and resources now devoted to the continent by such new organizations as the U.S. Africa Command (USAFRICOM). This paper seeks to overcome centuries of ignorance and misunderstanding about the conditions and people of Africa by discussing the fundamental issues of economic development and political governance through which enduring stability and security might be obtained. Written as a primer for military and government staff members who may be unfamiliar with Africa but are assigned duties that involve participation in African affairs, this paper explains the historic and modern importance of Africa to American national interests. This report offers solutions in terms of improving African stability and security and a framework of several key issues which should give policymakers the knowledge they need to work in a constantly changing and very challenging environment.
    Web link: http://globalcrim.blogspot.com/2010/...ecure-and.html
    davidbfpo

Council Member

I wonder what the French think about this... ;-)

Default How do France and the UK see AFRICOM?

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    I wonder what the French think about this... ;-)
    Seabee,

I cannot properly comment on the French response to AFRICOM, although as the French have stepped back from an overt, national military role and now look inwards to the EU an African role may have slipped out of the political "limelight". The debacle in Ivory Coast I understand was a particular shock to the expatriate presence across Africa. Note in the Ivory Coast peacekeeping was shared with a UN force.

The UK too has a low profile in Africa, with really only one military base left in Kenya, for exercises. We have stood aside from most UN / AU peacekeeping, Sierra Leone being the exception; although have contributed to security sector reform in a variety of places.

If the USA wants to play an active role with AFRICOM I suspect London is only too happy to see you learn, we might give advice but little of substance.

The crucial indicator for AFRICOM is the reaction of the African states and what recourse they make to its capabilities. Will AFRICOM participate, beyond logistics, in AU / UN peacekeeping? There are several key diplomatic players, not just Nigeria and South Africa; have any of them invited AFRICOM to overtly visit?
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by davidbfpo View Post
    Seabee,

I cannot properly comment on the French response to AFRICOM, although as the French have stepped back from an overt, national military role and now look inwards to the EU an African role may have slipped out of the political "limelight". The debacle in Ivory Coast I understand was a particular shock to the expatriate presence across Africa. Note in the Ivory Coast peacekeeping was shared with a UN force.

It is a change i have not been following... I took part in 3 operations with the french army in the Central Africa region in the 1990s... there was noone else around... except a contingent of Belgians in Kinshasa

What I find amazing is the sheer size of Africom.... a HQ of 1300 people?

french operations (IMHO) were effective, but always minimalist...

I remember an evacuation of Expats and missionaries in Zaire, total force used, 1 Puma, we were 8 guys and the chopper crew, 350 kms over the bush, and in retrospect I don't remember there being a second Puma availible in case we needed evacuation... our backpacks were prepared so we could walk back if things went wrong ;-)

... ok... maybe they are too minimalist in this day and age.....

I will not even comment digital congo vision of the real agenda of AFRICOM... I love the congolese but sometimes...

About the presence of external forces in Africa, not much has changed as far as I know. There are more US troops here and there trying to do something in Somalia, Sudan and other lovely places but the "French" stay a major player. But they also are closing bases...

The challenge is not so much to have reaction capacity from US or European powers or even from South Africa. But rather having something workable with African troops. The darfur "African deployment" is here to prove that there is still a longway to go.

Default French slim down

An update not on AFRICOM after:
    About the presence of external forces in Africa, not much has changed as far as I know. There are more US troops here and there trying to do something in Somalia, Sudan and other lovely places but the "French" stay a major player. But they also are closing bases.
    A French decision to exit Dakar, Senegal:
    France is closing its military bases in Senegal and will pull out all but 300 of its 1,200 troops based there.
    Link:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/10273849.stm
    davidbfpo

Default AU's regional force still on standby

Maybe not the USA's AFRICOM, but the alternative African Union forces in an IISS Strategic Comment: http://www.iiss.org/publications/str...ll-on-standby/

Ends with a direct comment:
    Meanwhile, AU peacekeeping operations will continue to be conducted by those countries that are willing and capable.
    For Africa 'hands' this will come as no surprise, the AU suffers from the problems its predecessor, the OAU, had political declarations are rarely matched by real work and I am slightly puzzled by one nation's failure, Libya which has proclaimed its readiness repeatedly - IIRC with an article in the RUSI Journal.

Not that AFRICOM will "fill the gap".
    davidbfpo

Banned

An update not on AFRICOM after:

A French decision to exit Dakar, Senegal:

Link:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/10273849.stm
    Why do you suppose the French need even 300 troops in Senegal?

For Africa 'hands' this will come as no surprise, the AU suffers from the problems its predecessor, the OAU, had political declarations are rarely matched by real work and I am slightly puzzled by one nation's failure, Libya which has proclaimed its readiness repeatedly - IIRC with an article in the RUSI Journal.

Not that AFRICOM will "fill the gap".
    Isn't this some real old news ? Something like back in June France and Dakar announced troop (and security) reductions ? I doubt AFRICOM will put 1,200 troops anywhere on the continent, yet alone in Dakar (they don't have that many French and/or Wolof speakers ).

JMA,
    I could be mistaken, but I believe that President Wade considers the French to be his ally and strategic partner

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    JMA,
    I could be mistaken, but I believe that President Wade considers the French to be his ally and strategic partner
    but 300 French troops are no more than a token presence, yes? ... unless they are some sort of Presidential Guard - which is not bad insurance for an African President.

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    but 300 French troops are no more than a token presence, yes? ... unless they are some sort of Presidential Guard - which is not bad insurance for an African President.
    JMA,
    The best I can give you is my SWAG from a decade of Sub-Sahara and the French

It was just following Zaire's first uprising where a very small French unit managed to subdue and push the FAZ into the jungle in less than a day (while the Belgian military were stuck in Brazzaville). Had they not dropped their troops in then, our evacuations would have been a lot more interesting.

Then there's the party line:

They used to claim their presence was to protect French nationals or subdue uprisings against legitimate governments (strategic interests notwithstanding).

Then came Rwanda... where a relatively small French military force purportedly evacuated French nationals and certain Rwandans who just so happened to be accused of genocide .

So IMO, 300 experienced troops in Africa is a sufficient fighting force while waiting for enforcements to arrive and, in relatively peaceful settings more than sufficient to serve in military and advisory capacities.

How's that grab you ?

Stan,

In addition you can put the operations in Congo Brazzaville in 1997 and the operation in Liberia in 2003 or Artemis in 2004. Or the early stage of Licorne in Ivory Coast.

300 well trained troops as legionaires/special ops or shock paratroopers are much more than enough to resist and secure almost anything in Sub saharian Africa and give time to evacuate or bring additional troops.

Against South African soldiers may be not, but we are talking, I believe of troops from mighty powers as Cameroune, Burkina Faso, Cote d'Ivoire... Not even talking about Tchad or Republique Centre Africaine...

The balance does not only depend on the numerous ratio but also in fire power and deterence capacity. A well trained platton with anti tank armament and snipe capacity + a limited air support can do a lot against a bunch of crazy guys with AK a few RPG7.

300 troops is more than enough for immediat response to any threat against Wade and establish a "tete de pont" for bigger evacuation almost any where on the continent.

Default Si tu veux la paix, prépare la guerre.

Quote Originally Posted by M-A Lagrange View Post
    Stan,

300 well trained troops as legionaries/special ops or shock paratroopers are much more than enough to resist and secure almost anything in Sub Saharan Africa and give time to evacuate or bring additional troops.

300 troops is more than enough for immediate response to any threat against Wade and establish a "tete de pont" for bigger evacuation almost any where on the continent.
    M-A,
    It wasn't long ago Carl asked me what I would do with the DRC and I responded with the same... Sweep in with two companies and destroy everything

Regards, Stan

Council Member

Default SFA in Africa, Training Video # 1

SFA in Africa, Training Video # 1

Entry Excerpt:

For the Tuesday morning, cubicle-imprisoned... A lighter post to help get you through the day:

--------
    Read the full post and make any comments at the SWJ Blog.
    This forum is a feed only and is closed to user comments.

Default Did this idea die?

This item popped up on the latest SW Journal article 'Thoughts from Khobar: Where Do We Go from Here?' as:
    The Army is standing up regionally aligned brigades (RAB) for advisory and theater-cooperation missions in Africa beginning in 2013
    Link:http://defense.aol.com/2011/10/11/ne...o-op-missions/

The first of up to seven new Army units, created to train and help foreign militaries will be operational by the next fiscal year. The first of these "Regionally Aligned Brigades" will be assigned to Africa Command, but will be stationed in the continental United States....

The brigade will be responsible for working with foreign militaries on stability, security and training operations and should be ready to go by by fiscal 2013....These military cooperation units will be roughly the size as a brigade combat team....
    I appreciate this idea / plan was floated openly in a briefing at the US Army Association and was not picked up on SWC. I hesitate to say the article refers to a UK colonel giving part of the briefing.

How AFRICOM would "sell" this brigade's use in Africa eludes me.
    davidbfpo

Council Member

I'll love to see how that concept could work in Nigeria (Northern Nigeria).

The first of up to seven new Army units, created to train and help foreign militaries will be operational by the next fiscal year. The first of these "Regionally Aligned Brigades" will be assigned to Africa Command, but will be stationed in the continental United States....
    ...one of the reasons why U.S. military spending is NOT defense spending.