Thread: Canadian Future War via Sci Fi Novel, Part 2

Council Member

Default Canadian Future War via Sci Fi Novel, Part 2

Moderators - feel free to shift if this isn't the best spot for this type of item. Thanks!

In 2005, the Canadian Forces commissioned science fiction writer Karl Schroeder to write a novel highlighting how a Canadian might conduct a Three Block War in the year 2025. The result: "Crisis in Zefra" (2.7 mB .pdf). Some wags suggested coming up with alternative captions for the graphics in the book...

Now, according to a Halifax newspaper, it appears a sequel is scheduled to come out next year:
    ....Now the army plans to hire Mr. Schroeder again to write Zefra II, another sci-fi book about what Canadian soldiers may face in 2040, said Lt.-Col. (Mike) Rostek, one of a small team of soldiers who advise the army about what may come to pass three decades from now.

"It’s just a science-fiction think piece to identify technologies that are out there that are developing," Lt.-Col. Rostek said after giving a talk at Dalhousie University.

Zefra II is slated to come out in January 2010....
    Blatant self promotion warning: A little bit more on this here.

As a science fiction fan, this immediately piques my interest. A quick Google search provided generally favorable comments on Schroeder's other works, so I think I'll give this a shot. If I finish it, I'll post my thoughts.

A guy I went to high school with runs a site called Paleo-Future that examines futurist projections from the past. It is a cool site, that has earned some good press. It is funny to see how wrong some of the 'experts' got it.

What visions of future warfare from the past have turned out to be terribly wrong?

Council Member

Paleo-future is another one of my favorite blogs along with Strange maps.
    "Speak English! said the Eaglet. "I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and what's more, I don't believe you do either!"

The Eaglet from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland

Quote Originally Posted by Ski View Post
    Paleo-future is another one of my favorite blogs along with Strange maps.
    I think he is working on a book, so look for that sometime in the future.

I should make clear that I did not intend disparage the work of milnews or Karl Schroeder. At the specter of a futurology thread, I posted a friends website about failures in futurology, and in my haste I may have snubbed them. Looking back at this thread I see that it could come off that way, my apologies if it does.