Just finished a paper called, "Hitler, Putin and the Rise of Democratic Dictators." Small d I'm sayin'

I have submitted to the John C. Whitehead School of Diplomacy and International Relations Diplomacy Journal for consideration.

Anyone remotely interested and PM and I'll send you a copy...here is the abstract:
“HITLER, PUTIN, AND THE RISE OF DEMOCRATIC DICTATORS”

By Stephen V. Fainer

Submitted for publication in Whitehead Journal of Diplomacy and International Relations , October 2008.

Abstract:

A disturbing trend in twenty-first century governance is the emergence of democratically elected “dictators” such as Vladimir Putin, Hosni Mubarak, and Robert Mugabe. These rulers have come to power for the most part by peaceful means, through the elective process.

The impact of these individuals both upon their native countries, neighboring states, and the world as a whole is quite significant. They have sought to suppress freedoms within their countries in exchange for economic and security gains, while at the same time meddling in the affairs of nearby sovereign nation-states over which they seek to exercise some level of influence and even control.

This paper examines the reason for the increase and spread of such rulers, the comparisons between contemporary and historical examples, and the impact these actors have had upon the greater world as a whole. It seeks to explain why this is an issue of importance to “true democracies” and why little has been done to stave off the increasing power and influence of their leaders.