Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
I suggest there's a happy and realistic medium between dropping a copy of the Federalist Papers and leaving versus the alternative of 'forever.' While pondering where that 'medium' should fall, recall two things; be realistic and aim for something achievable. Best is the enemy of good enough.
Sadly, if given the chance, more Afghans would probably read the Federalist Papers than Americans, aside from the selcted chapters in American Government 101. That said, and though the Afghans could literraly have cities on a hill, they will likely not be the same as our ideal. Agree that best is usually good enough, as long as its good enough for the Afghans or Iraqis or whoever to accept.

At the risk of drawing fire, I'll just say that I've known a slew of highly competent drunks, Officer and NCO. it's a tough job and it drives to a vice of some sort... IOW, don't write those SFCs off. Nor the Officers who were just there. I'll also suggest that I'd rather have five guys who are motivated and drink than ten who are 'superbly qualified' but are not motivated -- whether they drink or not is really irrelevant...
There are definately those that drink and fight, and do both well. The NCO I mentioned was not very capable or motivated either, so the DWIs were icing. Having been to St. Barbara's Day Balls (Patron Saint of Artillery), dining ins, O'calls, Prop Blast, etc... I can agree that some of the best will have a few drinks on occasion.

So is mission allocation and, believe me on this, COLs and CSMs have been known to fight bad ones quite strenuously and lose. It's not usually their call. That too goes with the territory and if the territory is not conducive to an adequate comfort level, people will -- and should -- find something else to do. The Green machine is better than it ever was, it isn't perfect but it is trying to improve -- and it will all work out.
Agree that you get the missions you get, but the buck stops at the top. If large numbers of troops are not utilized or under utilized, those in charge need to find a better use for them, or send them home. If a BN has couple dozen guys who do nothing but eat and go to MWR, put them at a gate or guard tower to increase force protection, free up others, and give them a purpose. This is micro-managing yes, but idle hands will do bad things. If a BCT claims to own battlespace, put people out in the battlespace.

To Schmedlap. I came very close to getting out for the same reason and will reassess in couple years. My good buddy who is now excellent CPT in NG got fed up with slaving on staff and getting little satisfaction from doing paperworkwork. Main reason the CRSB served as a reward to those largely already staying in. The slides and briefings on CSRB all seemed to ignore that job satisfaction was primary reason guys got out.