On two seperate occasions, I had dinner with Al Qaeda leadership and Sunni tribal leaders that actively supported AQI (mostly for financial gain). Now that the concept of talking to our enemies is in vogue on the tactical and operational levels, I wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences and how you viewed the outcomes.

Personally, I believe that these talks were significant shaping efforts in our COIN efforts in my AO.

During the first engagement, I entered the meeting with a relative strength advantage in my town.
During the second engagement, I entered the meeting with a relative disadvantage in my town.

The first effort allowed me to understand the competing interests and grievances of the disenfranchised Sunni populace. Furthermore, I was able to identify and distinguish many reconciliables from irreconciliables.

The second effort allowed me to convey the determination of the US military effort during "the Surge." I was able to plainly articulate my ultimatum to AQI- either lay down your arms and negotiate peace or be subject to extermination.

The outcome truly amazed me. Over the course of the next ninety days, after some brutal fighting, the town was cleared and attacks went from six a day to almost zero. The hard-core AQI members not killed or arrested simply fled to other safe-havens. They didn't want to play anymore.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Are their other stories out there of these engagements (not to be limited to AQI and the ME)?

v/r

Mike