Thread: How To Win

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I thought I was voluminous...

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    Well, Mr. White, you were quite right in suggesting we follow the money. The available structures to play-out "COIN's" role in the "GWOT" are very much limited to the organizational charts, funding streams, etc., established by Congress and signed-on by the Executive (with or without "signing statements").
    If you really believe that, I have a bridge I can let go for a mere pittance...

You are, I'm sure, aware that those items are mutable -- and that's an understatement -- and can be changed at either end of Pennsylvania Avenue with great speed and frequently some slight of hand.

And sometimes at both ends without the knowledge of the other end causing some,to me, amusing contretemps. Lord help the poor guys caught in the middle...
    The whole schema is tied at the hip to the appropriation and budgetary classifications. Absent recourse to the legislative process, you would have to be something more than a John Yoo to make any serious deviations from the present structure.
    The classifications are the 'pots' I mentioned. If the rest of that means Congress can and will ignore the law and the Constitution and do pretty much what it wants, I agree. If it is to imply their hands are tied and they cannot do that, as I mentioned, I have this bridge...
    So far as change here is concerned, me thinks we are left with the axiom: "Change what you can change. Accept what you cannot change. Have the wisdom to know the difference."
    On this we can totally agree. I'd strongly suggest that a thorough knowledge of how the US government works is advised before one starts laying out policy advocating change. How it really works, not how it's supposed to work. Take a look at the Federal Budget and ponder the fact that it is beyond opaque, it is virtually incomprehensible to most. Those accounting classifications? They and many other things the GAO and many in government have tried to discard; many have tried to get the US government to use a standard commercial accounting process and GAAP. Guess who doesn't want to do that? Congress -- they like opacity...
    True that dollars, egos and turf > the "law" as we have it. I can't do much about dollars, egos and turf. So, I'm left with the legal aspects created by them.
    Not to worry, Congress and the new Imperialer Presidency will likely take care for that for you.
    BTW: the Constitution is not directly helpful.
    As I said -- I'll add that documents which are ignored (in particular by both ends of Pennsylvania Avenue) rarely are much help.
    The Operational Law Handbook was quite helpful. After reading about 20 pages, the "Congressional intent" became very obvious. Suggest a read of Chapter 11 (about 60 pages) - and, for more enjoyable fare, read Chapter 21 (SOCOM; 16 pages).
    I'll pass, as you point out, a new version will be out soon. Uh, and which Congress was that, the one whose intent was obvious? Same number as next Quarters?

I'll also point out without giving away anything here that SOCOM has many other funding sources proving that yet again what you see is often not what you get...
    Not a very specific plan, is it ? Note that the above provisions come into play when considering SOFA stuff.
    Wasn't meant to be as you know; and true -- if they're heeded. My wife rarely moves the sofa, I understand I'm a lucky man and that some folks make a habit of of moving sofas on whims...
    Last edited by Ken White; 11-13-2008 at 10:24 PM.

The Important thing to remember about PCE is there are lives in the Balance.

Lives In The Balance by Jackson Browne
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1z58...eature=related

Council Member

Default A Bridge Too Far

I have to reject your kind offer of the bridge. After reviewing your sales brochure, I am simply unable to see how the bridge would fit into my terrain - based on the state of my present situational awareness, of course. As you may or may not know, my primary concern is to preserve the separation of the 600-pound gorilla and the young chimps who live in my back yard. I cannot see, at present, how the bridge would help in addressing that concern.

Default A narrows approach...

Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
    I have to reject your kind offer of the bridge.
    If you must.
    After reviewing your sales brochure, I am simply unable to see how the bridge would fit into my terrain - based on the state of my present situational awareness, of course.
    I agree, thoughtless of me to offer it with the Type A brochure; I'll forward the Type B and you'll note that the Bridge, like an erector set, can be multi purpose and its components can be assembled in many ways. Thus a gorilla proof -- but regrettably not totally chimp proof -- enclosure can be fabricated.

Much research has shown that complete Chimp proofing is not possible ergo one must devise alternate strategies. Elephant are quite wise if slow to act; gorillas are also wise and can act very rapidly when they wish to. This is a good thing.

One blogger's response to a follow-on feature that explored this concept a bit more:

http://www.registan.net/index.php/20...-for-pakistan/
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Default The important thing to remember about war is that it will

Quote Originally Posted by slapout9 View Post
    The Important thing to remember about PCE is there are lives in the Balance.
    cost lives no matter what and there is not likely to be a balance...

So, don't go unless you gotta -- and if you do go, you better be ready to kill most everything.