an excellent point summary. Period.

And, it includes an unintentional "funny" as well. The concept of a COL at SOCOM making a "a call to coddle criminal actors" gave me a mind's-eye picture that I wish I had the talent to draw. Anyway, thanks for a bit of cheer in what is a bleak, rainy day outside.

--------------
Since Tim McVeigh is mentioned, and the Civil Rights Movement has also been mentioned, I offer a brief comment. Some might well argue that the CRM was not an insurgency - whatever. Along with the CRM went another movement - let's call it the Anti-CRM; and parts of that were definitely into terrorist territory. From that latter movement, descended a number of groups and individuals who moved far out of the mainstream of their populace - and, for that matter, far out of the mainstream of "right wing groups".

Unfortunately, Tim McVeigh and Terry Nichols (a Michigander from Dexter, not far from the U of M) were not "nut jobs". From all I've read of them and the case, they had their ideology; probably saw themselves as patriots; and took it as their right and duty to rebel against what they perceived to be an oppressive government. The Turner Diaries and the Declaration of Independence make a bad combination.

While people can say "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter", that equation fails when you are the recipient of the terrorist's act - whatever he might think of himself.

--------------------
I do have one question based on your first sentence: "... a corresponding change of who is the supported agency for U.S. engagement abroad."

Could you give us a point summary on that, as well. That is a question that many have raised and are raising - e.g., who is in charge in Iraq ? (not seeking an answer for that country, but a generalized one for the future).