One of my happiest moments as a Company XO in Iraq was an occasion when an IED destroyed a HMMWV that was deadlined more than it was FMC (or circle x'd), with no friendly casualties. The crew, to my great pleasure, failed to recover a slew of non-essential property book items from the burning vehicle. They only saved the worthwhile stuff (radios, NVGs, weapons, etc). That was one of the few FLIPLs that I actually enjoyed (FLIPL is the successor to the Report of Survey, for you old-schoolers).

Halfway through the same deployment, we did an early retrograde of our non-essential MTOE gear (the stuff that I argued endlessly with my BN XO that we should not have been required to bring in the first place). I loaded the Quadcon, inventoried it, sealed it, and then stuck it smack in the middle of our patrol base, hoping that it would take a direct hit from a 120mm. I seriously considered peppering it with 203 rounds and then reporting "indirect fire" and writing it all off, but I figured there was a good chance of going to jail.