Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
I didn't use "criminal negligence", however, I did use "gross professional negligence"
Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
MAJ Smith, I was dead wrong in misquoting you...Perhaps, that was my "inner voice" speaking.
I believe I have said on more than one occasion that the failure of the Army to embed the Doctrine, to organize train and equip for post attack occupation and for the possibility of FID or COIN operations was a major failure by the senior leadership of the Army for over 28 years, (1975-2003) and that that omission was borderline criminal malfeasance -- and I probably left out the 'borderline' on occasion. I have also said that concentration on the threat of the USSR from 1975 until 1990 was correct but need not have totally excluded 'small wars' (and, for part of the time, it was partially included) -- but failure to adapt to an obviously changed world from 1990 until 2003 was inexcusable IMO.

I have also occasionally cited senior miscreants by name and have excoriated DoD and previous administrations for not pressing the issue. I wouldn't say all that were I still serving; I'm not so I have said it and will say it again.

I believe it extremely important that the Army not forget and not repeat that error.