Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obama’s Pentagon-in-Waiting

I wrote in Zinni for State also.

Default In the turn down, they also mentioned something about the firing of half

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    I would have have liked to see Ken considered for SECDEF but I seriously doubt that the Obama administration would be comfortable initiating the rendition protocols that would be required to get him into the job.

SFC W
    the work force at the five sided funny farm as being a non-starter; something about job losses and irate voters. They also want to save dipwad auto makers who can't read the market and try to lead it. Something about Unions...

So obviously they aren't really serious about changing the world...

Council Member Beelzebubalicious's Avatar

Default Hilary for State...

sanitorium

Is this kind of like Fantasy Football?

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    I think Zinni would be a great SecState. Pragmatic and grounded.
    But doesn't that almost automatically disqualify him?
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

Default Hillary for Sec. of State?

Obama, Clinton meet in Chicago

CHICAGO -- President-elect Barack Obama has met with his former rival for the Democratic nomination, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, and is considering her as a possible candidate for secretary of state, Democratic officials said.

Clinton was rumored to be a contender for the job last week, but the talk died down as party activists questioned whether she was best-suited to be the top U.S. diplomat in an Obama administration. The talk resumed Thursday, a day after Obama named several former aides to President Bill Clinton to help run his transition effort.

A Democratic official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to release the information, said the two met Thursday afternoon in Obama's Chicago office.

Clinton's motorcade -- she receives Secret Service protection as a former first lady -- was seen leaving the office complex shortly before Obama left for the day. Clinton spokesman Philippe Reines would say only "Senator Clinton had no public schedule yesterday," and referred questions to the Obama transition team, which said it had no comment.
    http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/11...cretary-state/
    Sir, what the hell are we doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    the work force at the five sided funny farm as being a non-starter; something about job losses and irate voters. They also want to save dipwad auto makers who can't read the market and try to lead it. Something about Unions...

So obviously they aren't really serious about changing the world...
    Of course, as producers of a real product, as opposed to financial markets, I could see greater rationalization for supporting manufacturers. Other then that, I'd support Ken for a cabinet level position
    Quote Originally Posted by sapperfitz82 View Post
    This truly is the bike helmet generation.

Default AH HA! you're the one

who sabotaged me!!!

Council Member

Default Back-channel chatter from Chicago

is that a new cabinet-level position has been created in the Obama TOE, the Directorate of Congressional Oversight, Liaison & Development (DCOLD). The only appointee, strongly recommended by Charlie Crist, is a Floridian, Ken White.

Default Other'n the fact that I believe

Charlie is a slime ball and that Congress is essentially the place to pass out 535 T-Shirts with the legend "Beware of stupid people in large groups" your idea has merit. Which is more than I can say for Congress...

I'm not a Floridian; I'm a Kentuckian who lives in Florida because he can afford to escape Kentucky's mild winters. Given your winters, I'd move to Tahiti...

However, we appreciate your support.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Given your winters, I'd move to Tahiti...

However, we appreciate your support.
    Hence, the rendition protocols. One moment you are sitting on your porch watching the mosquitoes eat an alligator or what ever it is people do in Florida when they are not at Disney World and the next you wake up in a room with a desk, a computer, a fully stocked wet bar (no need to be cruel) and a big DOD symbol with with a note that says "Make it better."

SFC W

Quote Originally Posted by John T. Fishel View Post
    of the CNAS folk. John Nagl is a friend; he is "wicked smart." He is also very knowledgeable about COIN and was a principal author of 3-24. If he were to become ASD-SO/LIC (as the article speculates) it would enhance the profile of LIC (SASO/MOOTW/Small Wars and the 100 other names). But, I'm not sure that John has the full confidence of the sOF community - it is something he would have to earn.
    Any possibility of John Nagl becoming Secretary of the Army?

For DASD SO/LIC, does Michael Vickers need to be replaced? Or, are there any calls for him to stay on for at least the beginning of the new administration?
    "In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

Default For these samll favors, Lord, we thank thee...

Quote Originally Posted by Uboat509 View Post
    ... a fully stocked wet bar (no need to be cruel) and a big DOD symbol with with a note that says "Make it better."
    If your 'fully' and mine are the same, no sweat-i-da; we can do that...

Council Member

Default Nagl - nope

Sorry, Slack. Nagl can't be SA, nor would he want to be (yet). That job is not for a SME, but for a political shaker and mover with business ties. Remember -- DA does Title 10 boring stuff, but with massive $$$ attached.

As long as GEN (ret) Merrill McPeak USAF, GEN (ret) Wesley Clark USA, and LTGEN (ret) Ricardo Sanchez USA aren't placed in positions of authority, we could be doing worse.

A real long shot that he'd keep SECDEF Gates, but a strong case can be made for it. I think the DNI, DCI, and National Security Advisor picks will be extremely telling. Continuity in these posts, especially keeping GEN (ret)Hayden USAF, as DCI, would be good for the country, but not so good for the perpetual election campaign of modern politics, Maybe we'll get really lucky and PRES (elect) Obama will scrap the DNI position and hold the DCI accountable for what he has, by the CIA's charter, been responsible for all along.

Quote Originally Posted by van View Post
    as long as gen (ret) merrill mcpeak usaf, gen (ret) wesley clark usa, and ltgen (ret) ricardo sanchez usa aren't placed in positions of authority, we could be doing worse.

+10000

Default it's a good chance gates will stay

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    A real long shot that he'd keep SECDEF Gates, but a strong case can be made for it. I think the DNI, DCI, and National Security Advisor picks will be extremely telling. Continuity in these posts, especially keeping GEN (ret)Hayden USAF, as DCI, would be good for the country, but not so good for the perpetual election campaign of modern politics, Maybe we'll get really lucky and PRES (elect) Obama will scrap the DNI position and hold the DCI accountable for what he has, by the CIA's charter, been responsible for all along.
    I've had the chance to have it confirmed by a top Democratic defense expert that Obama wants Gates to stay and will ask him to do so. It all depends if Gates accepts, and on what conditions.
    Ionut C. Popescu
    Doctoral Student, Duke University - Political Science Department

Council Member

Default Why just talk about it ...

you could contribute to the welfare of Dublin, Ireland, by gambling your hard-earned dollars here (no opinion on the legality thereof):

http://www.intrade.com/

Don't plan on contributing myself; but the site has the odds on Hillary, Kerry, Gates, etc. Interesting site - heard of it many times; first time there tonite (honest).

Neat charts - Gates below.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonSlack View Post
    For DASD SO/LIC, does Michael Vickers need to be replaced? Or, are there any calls for him to stay on for at least the beginning of the new administration?
    Hi jonSlack,
    From the article I posted it seems that it's hard to find a replacement for Michael Vickers, and he would probably be asked to stick around for awhile.
    The report states that the post of Michael Vickers, assistant secretary for special operations and low-intensity conflict, seems "conspicuously designed" to fit Vickers' background. "It is unlikely another person would have a professional background as well suited to this position as the incumbent," the report notes. "As a result, it is not clear that in subsequent administrations it will be possible to fill this position with an individual who can succeed across the very broad span of control in this organization for which this OASD is responsible," CSIS writes.

Default Washington Times - Obama eyes posts for Cleland, Holder

Washington Times - Obama eyes posts for Cleland, Holder

President-elect Barack Obama is quickly shaping his White House staff and policy - considering former Sen. Max Cleland and Eric H. Holder Jr. for top administration posts and promising governors and world leaders he would pursue an aggressive global-warming plan because "denial is no longer an acceptable response."

A source familiar with transition planning said Mr. Cleland, a Vietnam veteran and triple amputee, is under consideration for either secretary of Veterans Affairs or secretary of the Army in an Obama administration, and liberal grass-roots support is building for his selection.
    "In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer