Thread: Anti-Intellectualism In The Army

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    [rant] This is closely tied to the problems with staff work in the Army; staff officers are treated with contempt, staff assignments are considered ugly chores at best but more often looked at as punishment, most folks strive to minimize staff time, no job on staff is considered as hard or as important to professional development as command at an equal rank, but leaders whine that noone can do good staff work. Yeah, treat staff poorly, put your high-speed best people in command, then wonder why staff work isn't of the best quality; great plan...[/rant]
    That is nothing like my impression of staff time. While nobody enjoys it, I don't know of anyone who viewed it as punishment or anyone who viewed staff officers with contempt just because they were staff officers. Staff was regarded as one of those unpleasant tasks that we all need to endure during our careers. When someone did the job well (meaning that they made life easier on the companies) then they were tremendously appreciated. If they had a lousy attitude about the job and half-assed it and contributed nothing, then they were viewed with contempt - but it was due to performance, not duty position. I also never observed a bias towards putting particular people in staff versus command. It was an objective command-queue. If anything, it was too objective in that people who were not fit (or certainly less fit) for command went on to take command because it was "their turn" while someone much better qualified had to wait it out on staff for another year (even if this meant sending a company of Soldiers into Iraq with a lackluster commander, so as to not deviate from the command queue).

Default That tracks far better with my observations

and recollection than the Staff as punishment meme. Purgatory for some, yes; punishment? No. I'd add that even the 'purgatory' bit was, in some cases, just pro-forma griping.

Also my perception that competence and good performance are respected, regardless of rank, job or pertinence thereof or location and that sloppy work is broadly condemned. Griping is sacrosanct and respected by all; cross the very fine line into whining and you'll be nailed or ignored by most.

Most folks I've seen or known in the services seem to instinctively know the raw truth of that old cliché; "Anyone can do well what they enjoy, it's how well you do the things you don't want to do that tell what kind of person you are."

I'm torn about this particular issue: Intellectual knowledge is often inferior to intuitive knowledge or talent, imo.

Some of the most talented military minds I've seen, could not be even remotely described as "intellectual". On the other hand, some of the most intellectual minds I've met couldn't lead kindergartners to the candy store.

It's kind of like the sociopath picking up the sex therapist's wife; One knows, while the other does.

I will tell you this; attempting to cross the line between the execution level of the military and academia leads to a rocky road, full of gut-wrenching pitfalls, where an individual becomes perceived as being "neither fish, nor fowl, nor good red meat" for just about anyone....

Default So does that...

Track with my long term observations, I mean...