Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: US Troops Leaving Iraqi Cities

Council Member

Default One more step

There is one more step in the SOFA process. Here is its timeline.

Iraq presidency to review US pact in two weeks
    Fri Nov 28, 5:10 am ET

BAGHDAD (AFP) – Iraq's landmark security pact with the United States will be sent to the presidential council for a final review following its ratification by the Iraqi parliament, an official said on Friday.

"Parliament is due to submit the law on Sunday to the presidential council which has 10 days to ratify or reject it, presidential office spokesman Nassir al-Ani said, a day after lawmakers gave their backing to the controversial accord.

"If it has no reaction, it is considered adopted," he said. "If the presidential council rejects it, the pact must go back to parliament." ....
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081128...iraqusmilitary

Default Ah, negotiation in the ME...

After many, many hours of chai and cigarettes, and perhaps an excellent full course meal, things would to get to a point were everybody would seem to be more or less satisfied. The next day I would bump into one of the participants who advise that just one more small change would be needed to get things truly finalized....

The negotiation never ends.
    Sapere Aude

Default National sport

in several nations there...

Council Member

Default Iraq's Presidential Troika Approves SOFA

Little fuss and muss to this final step in the process.

Presidency Council Ratifies U.S.-Iraq Security Pact
    By Gerry J. Gilmore
    American Forces Press Service

WASHINGTON, Dec. 4, 2008 – The new U.S.-Iraq security pact that was approved by Iraqi lawmakers Nov. 27 was ratified by Iraq’s Presidency Council today, senior U.S. officials said.

The two-part security pact consists of a strategic framework agreement that establishes the foundation of a long-term bilateral relationship between the United States and Iraq, as well as a status-of-forces agreement that stipulates how U.S. forces are affected by Iraqi laws.

Both agreements will take effect Jan. 1, following the exchange of diplomatic notes. The agreements replace a United Nations mandate authorizing the U.S. military presence in Iraq that’s slated to expire Dec. 31.

“We welcome today’s ratification by Iraqi’s Presidency Council of the Strategic Framework Agreement and Security Agreement,” U.S. Ambassador to Iraq Ryan C. Crocker and Army Gen. Raymond T. Odierno, commander of Multinational Force Iraq, said in a joint statement issued today.
    http://www.defenselink.mil/news/news....aspx?id=52192

Council Member

Default GEN Odierno on post - 1 Jan operations

New orders for US troops in Iraq after landmark pact
    Fri Dec 5, 6:27 am ET

BAGHDAD (AFP) – The top US military commander in Iraq on Friday issued new orders to troops after the Iraqi government approved a landmark military pact that will give it increased control over their operations.

The wide-ranging accord -- which will require all US troops to leave the country by the end of 2011 -- won final approval from Iraq's presidential council on Thursday after nearly a year of intense negotiations.

"US forces will continue to be authorised to engage in combat operations," General Raymond Odierno, the commander of US forces in Iraq, wrote in a letter to the troops.

"However, under the terms of the new agreement, we will coordinate and execute those operations with the approval of the (Iraqi government), and we will conduct all operations by, with, and through the Iraqi security forces."

The pact -- which will take effect when the troops' UN mandate expires at the end of the month -- will grant Iraq veto power over virtually all US operations.

"We will continue to focus on combating Al-Qaeda and other extremist groups, but we must do so with respect for the Iraqi constitution and laws," Odierno wrote.

"But there will not be any reduction in our fundamental ability to protect ourselves and the force," he added.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20081205...iraqusmilitary

On the annviersary of my old battalion's biggest scrape during March 2003, my former batlion commander reaches out to his former commanders and executive officer, and we catch up on events and careers.

This year, the round of emails caught me in N. Iraq, serving on a endgame deployment of sorts, which stands in stark contrast to the days I remember from the invasion. I thought my reply was worth sharing here as well:

I think you will all enjoy knowing what transpired the other day, just a couple days before the anniversary. The Iraqi brigade that owns the majority of this battlespace asked us to participate in an op involving some 250 jundi, in pursuit of one of the local HVIs for both our TF and the brigade. This same brigade has conducted similar operations recently, and it all indicates a very aggressive, talented, and capable brigadier general. He wants the support of air coverage, and our companies for outer cordons and screen lines, but it is always his men who go through the door when it comes to conducting the actual searches of any dwellings/villages. It's true that they do it "good enough" for Iraqi standards, but they do it fairly well.

In preparation for this particular operation, the BG brought the jundi to our expeditionary airfield in a column of HMMWVs, Ford F250s, 5-ton cargo trucks, and miscellaneous support vehicles. They even had their own refueler and 5-ton wrecker of sorts. We fed the jundi while the officers conducted final planning with staff, and so in my capacity as the XO, I was at the point of friction, trying to corral 200+ Iraqi soldiers into a chow line in the crisp morning air. They looked like the typical rag-tag bunch sporting different uniforms, with some wearing kneepads and headlamps as some sort of fashion accessory, but I took note of a few important things. First, I watched as a junior officer approached the line of men queued to be served. He had a couple NCOs with him, and instead of butting in line, he stood patiently and waited until his men had something to eat before he went through the line.

The other notable thing I saw happened once the company commanders returned to their troops. The BG issued final orders, and started directing the actions of men and machine. I could see an officer issuing orders to his men, who were all kneeling in a school circle in front of him, listening rather intently. This guy was motivated, and even though I couldn't tell what he was saying, his gestures were universal...watch your sector...check geometry of fires...report what you know, then what you think. At the end of his little huddle, he pumped his fist and the men all replied with what could be called their equivalent of oohrah, before they broke formation and mounted their vehicles so that they could hit SP on time.

I think it's safe to say that we have all known some sorrow at the lost of a Marine we knew by name since we crossed the berm at what seems like such a long time ago. Our country's precious treasure poured a lot of blood into the country, and I was able to witness the result of their sacrifice. Our men did not die in vain.

Default Firsthand counts

Jon,

Thanks for those few lines on the Iraqi Army today; all too rarely reported firsthand and currently. Stay safe.

davidbfpo

Default Thanks Jon.

Semper Fi!

Default MRAPs barred from Iraqi cities in daylight

Here is a link to a story in today's Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062600301.html

The story states that a new rule will prohibit US troops from using MRAPs in urban areas during the day. I can't understand why such a rule would be implemented.

Could it be the primary purpose of the rule is to increase the vulnerability of US troops going into the cities in the hope that it will make them reluctant to go? It is as if JAM wrote the rule.
    "We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again." Gen. Nathanael Greene

Council Member

Default Self-inflicted "lawfare" ....

from carl
    It is as if JAM wrote the rule
    Probably not - although that would be a very direct form of Lawfare (by infiltration and subversion) at the operational level. I suspect that it is another example of political (perhaps some policy) considerations driving the vehicle - although someone's military concept of best practices in transition may also have much to do about it.

This ties in with the thread on Afghanistan ROE Change, where Uboat posed an intelligent question:

What I have been wondering is, is this policy really General McChrystal's? Or is something that has been quietly dictated to him by someone higher in the COC? Civilian casualties aren't just a liability to our operations in Afghanistan, they are a political liability to our elected officials. Airstrikes in particular look bad on TV. Perhaps it is my cynicism speaking but this could be an attempt to become a more effective COIN force or it could be political expediency.
    I've no answer for that one, or for this one. It may be political, it may be military or it may be both - only the flies on certain walls know (not even The Shadow knows - which dates me to late 40s and early 50s radio).

Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
    Here is a link to a story in today's Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...062600301.html

The story states that a new rule will prohibit US troops from using MRAPs in urban areas during the day. I can't understand why such a rule would be implemented.

Could it be the primary purpose of the rule is to increase the vulnerability of US troops going into the cities in the hope that it will make them reluctant to go? It is as if JAM wrote the rule.
    This is OBO (Overcome by Odierno). see:

Military: No Ban on Use of Mine-Resistant Vehicles in Iraq

By Ernesto Londoño
    Washington Post Foreign Service
    ...Lt. Col. Brian Maka, a U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad, said in an e-mail Saturday that the information provided by the officers regarding the ban of MRAPs during daylight hours was "absolutely wrong."

He said the military would "not exclude using the appropriate force protection measures when conducting our operations."
    Overall the movement from the cities is going well.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 06-28-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Odom View Post
    This is OBO (Overcome by Odierno). see:

Overall the movement from the cities is going well.

Tom

OBO Operations haha Hows things in Tal'afar Tom? Oh and an aviation question for you. How I like it! I wonder how this pull out form cities going to affect the air plan in Iraq? I mean up where you are in MND-N land FOB Daimondback is where most of the rotary and UAV air assetts come from. Q-west maybe?
    See things through the eyes of your enemy and you can defeat him.

Blackjack

I am MND-B POLAD so my haunts are generally Baghdad and environs. I was up at MND-N on a visit to our 3rd BCT.

Tom