Thread: Matters Blackwater (Merged thread)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

I'm wondering how the issues of accountability and oversight work in terms of private intelligence. Does anybody have more info on this?

Default MPRI HR Jobs

Hey wierdbeard !
    Here's MPRI's very comprehensive listing:

http://mpriweb.mpri.com/IIF/Jobs/jobsummary.html

The HR Department maintains a database of professionals for consideration against future MPRI requirements. Acceptance into MPRI's database is not automatic. To be considered, please complete an Individual Information Form (IIF). You will be notified via email if your form has been downloaded into the database. A search of the database for potential skill set matches is accomplished as new contract requirements are received.
    Regards, Stan

Quote Originally Posted by AFlynn View Post
    I'm wondering how the issues of accountability and oversight work in terms of private intelligence. Does anybody have more info on this?
    The Spy Who Billed Me is an interesting blog on the topic.
    "In times of change learners inherit the earth; while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists." - Eric Hoffer

Default The $64 question

Quote Originally Posted by AFlynn View Post
    Well that is the BIG Question, isn't it? Perhaps a "quality control division" is necessary within each government department that hires them.

And if a commercial entity hires them, well, then, their lawyers better be "good." And my definition of "good" would be the one meant by John Hersey in his opening of the novel "A Bell for Adano," which of course is hard to find.

Jayhawker

- Treat with respect the power you have to form an opinion.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Council Member

Default Sliding Through the Crease

Conceptually, the void between State and Defense is one of friction which corporate America has always been able to easily manipulate and happily exist in, so Mercs doing serious Intel within this 'crease' should come as no surprise to anyone. They can dodge and weave through accountability 'til the cows come home by hopping on the same outsourcing band wagon corporate America uses. Government oversight is essentially perpendicular, ideological and Law driven, a top and bottom can eventually be found. When profit and efficiency are the driving engines, we are forced to look more horizontally and things just drop off the end, forever. Given the state of the world, there isn't much choice but to happily coexist with these mercs in my opinion.

Council Member

Default Corporate Intel

Corporate Intelligence- do you think I'll be able to trademark the term COINT? is here to stay. Although firms like Aegis and TIS are military suppliers, and many other firms boast a roster of ex-SF and/or intel types, for the most part the field is much more, ahem, corporate than people imagine. The bread and butter work is made up of background checks on potential partner companies and/or key hires.

Other scenarios include gathering intel in an acquision or tender situation, where the private intel company provides services that the usual consultant mix of lawyers, accountants, technical advisors etc cannot deliver- ie somewhat more privileged information.

Much of what is required by a client is open-source that just needs to be uncovered, however information gathering may extend to basic surveillance and questioning of third parties. There have even been publicly reported cases of such firms running surveillance and counter-surveillance ops for sporting teams given the capital involved in sport these days.

Michael Smith has put together an informative summary on some of the main players today here:
    http://www.michaelsmithwriter.com/pd..._companies.pdf