Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ISAF Campaign Plan Summary

Quote Originally Posted by Ken White View Post
    Every war is different. Mao didn't know it all nor did Galula -- or John Boyd.
    Actually, Boyd did know it all, in the sense that he knew very well that every war is different. He believed in policy, but not in doctrine, or at least not in a single doctrine: 'If you got one doctrine, you’re a dinosaur. Period.'

That was in 1992. Seemingly it is a lesson that we are given in every generation, and that is subsequently ignored. Bernard Fall in 1965: 'I would like to close with one last thought, which applies, of course, to everything that is done in the armed forces, but particularly to revolutionary war: If it works, it is obsolete.' (Italics his.) Blue skies! -- Dan Ford
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 08-03-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: PM sent requesting introduction.

Default Okay, so he knew one thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpilot View Post
    Actually, Boyd did know it all, in the sense that he knew very well that every war is different.
    I think that's along way from 'all.' No one knows it all; not Old Pilots like thee or Old grunts like me. We may be good but we aren't that good. Boyd was good but he wasn't that good.
    He believed in policy, but not in doctrine, or at least not in a single doctrine: 'If you got one doctrine, you’re a dinosaur. Period.'
    I think that's true of anyone with any sense. Problem is getting people who know better to stop being lazy and relying on saurian principle because it's easy.
    That was in 1992. Seemingly it is a lesson that we are given in every generation, and that is subsequently ignored.
    I don't think it takes nearly that long -- my guess would be two changes of command or job, max.
    Bernard Fall in 1965: 'I would like to close with one last thought, which applies, of course, to everything that is done in the armed forces, but particularly to revolutionary war: If it works, it is obsolete.' (Italics his.)
    Bernie didn't know it all either; Not even in my purchased at the time first Edition -- nor did Galula (same note). One has to synthesize the thoughts of many to get anywhere near decent knowledge. No one will ever have all the answers.