Thread: Mumbai Attacks and their impact

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default More details?

From an Indian magazine, interesting reading (even if not all true....who knows that the truth is in such matters):

http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?267300

Default Mumbai on Thames

SAS officers warn that Britain is unprepared for a Mumbai-style attack
    Two former senior commanders of the SAS have warned that Britain's security forces would be unable to cope with a Mumbai-style terrorist attack in central London.

This would temporarily create a war zone within London and one that cannot effectively be countered by the police alone. The police are good at policing but we doubt they would want to try war fighting.
    Link:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...le-attack.html
    davidbfpo

David,

Isn't this largely true everywhere? At the end of the day one has to balance the likelihood and potential damage of such an attack against the cost of defending every potential place such an attack could occur.

London is a city famous for being able to shake off far worse attacks on a nightly basis, and to brush itself off and get on with business the following day. While no Londoner would want to return to the dark days of WWII, nor to have a Mumbai-style attack launched against them; I suspect they also would not want prefer a London designed to prevent/quickly squash such an attack either.
    Robert C. Jones
    Intellectus Supra Scientia
    (Understanding is more important than Knowledge)

"The modern COIN mindset is when one arrogantly goes to some foreign land and attempts to make those who live there a lesser version of one's self. The FID mindset is when one humbly goes to some foreign land and seeks first to understand, and then to help in some small way for those who live there to be the best version of their own self." Colonel Robert C. Jones, US Army Special Forces (Retired)

Council Member

Default Er...........?

Can someone explain what this statement means (I'm hoping its a typing error) given that the preceding four points would, ahem, point to the opposite conclusion (IMO)...
    "And fifthly, defence spending must be reduced to ensure that the department does not compromise National Economic Security at a time of ongoin financial instability"

p.s. Isn't the idea of National Economic Security somewhat...anti-capitlaist/free market?

Default London plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    Isn't this largely true everywhere? At the end of the day one has to balance the likelihood and potential damage of such an attack against the cost of defending every potential place such an attack could occur.

London is a city famous for being able to shake off far worse attacks on a nightly basis, and to brush itself off and get on with business the following day. While no Londoner would want to return to the dark days of WWII, nor to have a Mumbai-style attack launched against them; I suspect they also would not want prefer a London designed to prevent/quickly squash such an attack either.
    Bob,

I agree, although I only visit London. Yes, a Mumbai-style attack would be mayhem for a time, even say if London Heathrow was the target - lots of people, symbolism and lots of armed police. What contemporary Londoners think I know not. I am not convinced the popular London memory stretches back to the WW2 Blitz, let alone the Irish bombings; institutions can be different.

We have an unusual coincidence here: a UK defence review, a Conservative Party conference (in Birmingham), a terror alert and forthcoming cuts to public spending (including the police and other agencies).
    davidbfpo

Council Member

Default Likely or unlikely?

The German air attacks on London during WWII only increased the UK's resolve, I suspect part of that was because it reinforced a sense of nationalism.

A successful Mumbai attack on the other hand would call into question the legitimacy of the current government (maybe rightfully so). It isn't so much a matter of how the people react as a whole, but the internal political instability that would follow such an attack. I agree the effects would be limited, and in the end do much harm to the Islamists than the West, but then again the Islamists have never been known for thinking rationally.

However I do disagree that the threat of such an attack is low probability, quite the contrary, until it proves to be ineffective the Islamists will attempt to use it repeatedly. I'm surprised they haven't used it since Mumbai, but then again it takes a lot of longer to train competent commando style forces than brain washing a young man to strap on a suicide vest.

Default India review of Mumbai

I missed the report commissioned by the state government into the Mumbai attacks, the Pradhan Committee Report and the entire report is available via the links on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pradhan_Inquiry_Commission

Note the report was delayed by the state government and legal action taken led to its publication.

The report highlights three innovations:

a) the ability to direct the attackers from a foreign country
    b) use made of host nation visual media for guided killing
    c) elaborate subterfuge in command and control

Plus one tactical innovation: at each target (except the railway terminus) the attackers aimed to climb up and reach height to kill to the maximum effect.

I suspect there is more in the full report.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 05-18-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Remove invalid link
    davidbfpo

Default Police in training for 'Mumbai-style' gun attack in UK

A "scoop" by the BBC's Security Correspondent, sub-titled:
    UK security chiefs have ordered an acceleration in police training to prepare for any future "Mumbai-style" gun attack in a public place.
    Link:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11622218

The most interesting part is the embedded interview with an ex-SAS officer and listen to last few seconds.

Moderator's Note: I have changed the title (October 2010) to reflect the posts on the impact of the attacks.
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 10-26-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Insert Mod's note
    davidbfpo