Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Insurgent sources

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Quote Originally Posted by 120mm View Post
    For the love of God, please, do not read anything Poole has written, except for "The Last 100 Yards."

Unless, of course, you're interested in half-truths and fiction, that is....
    Gotta jump in here and second this. H John Poole's "The Last 100 Yards" is excellent, and his "One more Bridge To Cross" is also worth a read.

His other stuff leave me cold. There are some excellent points, and facts, but the rest just has no supporting basis I can make sense of.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Default Couple of sources to look into...

if you haven't already.

http://www.counterinsurgencylibrary.org/

Abu Muqwama maintains both a Counterinsurgency Reading List and a Counterinsurgency Book Club link.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Default Imagine our chagrin...

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Brynen View Post
    My convoy was attacked in Ramadi twice by javelin-throwers with chariots, which seemed odd until we captured an AQI cell leader with a well-thumbed copy of Julius Caesar's Gallic Wars..."
    when our patrol to Dreamdorp (along the Kyhber Pass) fell under some desultory, yet wildly innacurate, fire. We quickly made short work of it and upon over running the position we found several well worn Martini-Henry rifles and a tattered copy of Swinton's Defense of Duffer's Drift...
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Default Other open sources about training of bad guys

Greetings to all.

In addition to materials in the English as cited in this thread, numerous related items exist -- some published, and much online -- in other languages [specifically, Arabic, Turkish, Kurdish, Persian, Urdu, Chechen, and Russian] about where and how the bad guys now operating in Iraq and Afghanistan receive their initial training and many underwent some field OJT in other areas of conflict -- especially Chechnya and Bosnia -- before moving later to Iraq and Afghanistan.

Chechen separatists pioneered the design and use of IED of various types against the Russians. Chechens have been KIA in Iraq, notably during the second battle of Falluja. They were there as advisors, trainers/technicians, and combatants/snipers.

A pleasant surprise also to see John Fishel here. I well recall his teaching in the original six-month Foreign Area Officer Course at Fort Bragg (I was in one of the last of the FAOC classes there before "Big Army" got penny-wise and pound-foolish and "disestablished" the course, which is another saga likely more familiar to John).

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
    LTC, MI
    US Army FAO (Middle East)
    USAR (Retired)
    San Pedro, California
    [Riyadh, Saudi Arabia (again), 2006-2008]
    Last edited by shfranke; 12-11-2008 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Clarity

Steve

Welcome and do stick around my friend. You know to watch John T carefully.

Ken White is another...

Tom

Default Steve, welcome aboard.

Ignore Tom, he attacks me because I enjoy better weather than he does. I, OTOH, will point out that he is a Prince among men, without the Purple suit, of course (well, we think...) and is an arbiter of good taste, erudition and decorum...

Plus : He's a former FAO.

Minus: Well, he is from Tejas and now lives in Looziana ( ) and has therefor become the subject of Cajun jokes...

Not that I'd ever participate in any activity or verbiage derisory of ethnic or geographic identity, of course.

SWJ will know it has achieved relevance when captured insurgents cite to it as a source for their training.

BL, the entire WWW is the source of insurgent TTPs and information. Frustrated targeteers would love to be able to draw some "state" connection, to show that these guys are working for some third party that they can actually target. But you can't go blow up the SWJ server just because bad guys access it; and you shouldn't bomb a sovereign nation just because bad guys are transiting it or using it as sanctuary. You can however go ask the SWJ to take down their site, or go ask that HN take appropriate steps to shut down the sanctuary problem. Only once this fails do you start looking at other options.

Default Agreed. However, does this really belong here???