Thread: COIN Perspectives From On Point

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Sergeant Hanson and Bill are on target

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Moore View Post
    1. Our military is still overly focused on Force Protection...
    True.
    2. His high risk proposal of deploying numerous small units to saturate an area is classic, but unforunately too daring for our military...This tactic is still sound, but we can't assume invisibility in an urban environment. Another option to expand upon his concept to develop local forces that are capable of using this strategy.
    Probably correct that it is too 'daring' at this time -- though I submit we've done it many times before in many wars, it works and it isn't really all that daring -- it just assumes some risk. I for one do not think it is high risk; a risk? Sure; but not high -- not with halfway decent training which we can do.

You're of course correct that it will not generally work for us in an alien urban environment and that the HN folks will have to do it in such a locale -- but it will work in rural areas. In all cases, the factors of METT-TC apply...
    3. We're overly focused on the IED and IED cell/network... Developing new armors, jamers, etc. to counter IEDs should be pursued in a similiar effort, but it shouldn't be the main effort.
    True dat. Defeat the tactic, not the weapon. Where is the Joint RPG Task Force????
    If we put half that effort into defeating the insurgency, instead of the IED... Now we seem to be focused entirely on the IED and the cell that emplaces it.

Great article.
    It is that.

Good job, Sergeant Hanson
    Last edited by Ken White; 11-29-2008 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Typo

Council Member

Roger, unit saturation has been utilised. COL McMaster perfected it for OIF at Tal Afar, much to our Army's chagrin. Pentagon was in no mood to be told that the best COA would be the 1000 man per square kilometer terror supression tactic.

I for one supported the Colonel, who would go on to be passed over for promotion to BG despite being one of the most qualified Colonel's in our Army. His planning was strategically sound, politically sensitive & historically congruent.

I appreciate the multi-faceted questions brought to bear here. Many of the solutions are only impractical due to force projection limitations and manning requirements.
    Last edited by Bullmoose Bailey; 12-11-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: sp.

Default I would suggest this:

Quote Originally Posted by Bullmoose Bailey View Post
    "...Many of the solutions are only impractical due to force projection limitations and manning requirements...
    is the answer to this:
    ...Pentagon was in no mood to be told that the best COA would be the 1000 man per square kilometer terror supression tactic.
    Yes, McMaster got passed over; however, he later was selected so all's well that ends well as someone said.

All of which leads to my no more than idly curious question; what is your point?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullmoose Bailey View Post

I for one supported the Colonel, who would go on to be passed over for promotion to BG despite being one of the most qualified Colonel's in our Army. His planning was strategically sound, politically sensitive & historically congruent.

You do know that he is now a BG?
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cavguy View Post
    You do know that he is now a BG?
    And Roger......

The General was passed over twice before his star rose & I'm thankful for the good leadesrhip of the board that sat under GEN Petraeus & added this living legend to their constellation.