Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
...Although breaking down into smaller yet still effective groups would likely be effective however how much consideration should be taken of the fact that it also leaves those particular forces open not only to ambushes by larger enemy force...
The solution to that is to not get ambushed or caught by such an enemy force. I'm not being facetious; that can be done with better training and some practice -- it has been and is being done by numerous US units in a lot of places over the years and today. I strongly disagree with those who say "that's too expensive" and "most units can't get to that point." I do acknowledge that you cannot get that to 100% surety -- or even 90 or maybe 85% -- but you can get to 75% at a minimum. That's good enough. Unless one is unduly risk averse.
... but on another note possibly much more susceptible to percieved or enemy IO driven accusations with little actual capability to protect themselves from the aforementioned.
That's the part I don't understand? Do you mean accusations of wrongdoing, war crime-like?

If so, I think the Colombian's have the right answer; a few forensic teams on strip alert ready to fly to and investigate any incident, gather evidence and report it honestly and rapidly to the world press...