MODS: Couldn't find this elsewhere, but feel free to move/delete if already being discussed.

This summer, a Canadian media outlet ran a story alleging
Canadian soldiers serving in Afghanistan have been ordered by commanding officers "to ignore" incidents of sexual assault among the civilian population, says a military chaplain who counsels troops returning home with post-traumatic stress disorder....
The next day, speaking at a government committee hearing, Canada's Chief of Defence Staff is quoted saying
"If somebody is being seriously abused, we are not going to stand by and see that continue. I expect young men and young women to have their actions mirror their values that they bring with them from Canada"
On 21 Nov 08, the Canadian Forces announced a BOI regarding
.... the circumstances surrounding the allegations made last June of assault by Afghan National Security Forces members in the Kandahar Province, Afghanistan, in late 2006 or early 2007 (originating) from allegations reported in the media of possible abuse of Afghan minors by Afghan National Security Forces.
To me, if the Coalition is there to help develop professional military and police forces, this is a real problem. However, in spite of major (righteous) public rage over the recent attack involving acid thrown at school girls and teachers, I sense some discomfort around the male abuse issue.

On the con side of dealing with this, is it our business to change something that, to my understanding, has been a cultural norm for a long time? This, from a recent Pakistani blog post (highlighting mine):
....homosexuality in Pashtun society has been an open secret, although it might well be exaggerated. According to local tradition, many men live by the credo “Women for duty; boys for pleasure.” Indeed, Afghans often dress up pretty boys as girls, and have them dance in public. According to Afghan tradition, even birds cover their rear with their wings when flying over Kandahar....
On the pro side of dealing with this, though, how can a professional police/military force truly protect citizens whose kids may be subject to "chickenhawking" by said force members? If we're there teaching professional behaviour, shouldn't avoiding such behaviour be part of the plan?

Although I feel something should be done, I'm at a loss about how to deal with it. Or is this even NATO/ISAF/OEF's business?