Quote Originally Posted by jmm99 View Post
As I am reading Gentile, he is contrasting a large force engaged in "hearts and minds" (stability ops, "nation building", whatever) with "other military means". Since he doesn't define the latter term, I guess it's left to our imaginations. My image is mobile light infantry (conventional, special ops and extra-special ops) knowing where it's going and what it will do when it gets there. What did "other military means" mean to you and what capability is missing?
Partly what you said but a couple of other things not for an unclassified discussion. We do not right now have the full capability required in any of those things though all are being developed.
I read Gentile as focusing on AQ as the "main enemy" in that theatre ... Whom do you see as the opponents ?
The various Taliban groups (there are a number) plus the Heroin smugglers and the many various warlords and tribes who very much do not want a strong central government * and, if we get dumb or too careless, most of the rest of the population who do not like foreigners but, so far, are being nice and polite as is their wont.

* They will be low key and play both ends against the middle but will fight if they feel too much progress is being made.

Gian is right, AQ is the main effort as far as I can tell, I just like to remind folks there's more to it than that. I also strongly suggest that any 'leaning' in Afghanistan is strictly a matter of convenience and is quite temporary unless there is heavy family involvement.