Quote Originally Posted by selil View Post
I'll take one Popper refutation hypothesis and raise you a pedantic incremental science salutation.

Not all science is the refutation of previous work, and some inquiry is the further proof of concepts or knowledge. As an example we theorized buckyballs, but now can create them. That theory has suggested that there may be other formations of nano-particles. That doesn't mean buckyballs go away upon discovery of other nano particles.

Some science is stepping stones across the river of knowledge rather than a good solid bridge. unfortunately every now and then somebody dynamites the bridge with a remarkable discovery and we are back to incremental science.
Very nice! The question I have is "where do refuted theories go, when they die?" And you of course are correct here.

All elements of society are based on a philosophy of action or thought. Not that dark robes and grey matter stuff people fling around like Chimpanzees at the zoo though. Cultural elements feed how people cognitively consider their relationship to reality. Not to talk to far over my head but symbols and symbolic relationships are the cornerstones of human expression. Thus we get sin and evil and good and bad and differing points of views of what those things mean.

My primary and only interest in symbols are user interfaces for computers and machines where people have expectations and defined roles for symbols. For deeper discussion dig up MarcT.
I agree, but lack the organized thought right now to do so succinctly. My problem with "Military Philosophy" is that it often does not reflect the actual, pre-existing unstated philosophy, or even capabilities of military organizations. I think this could bear more examination, though.