Thread: Netfires - Tube Artillery - MLRS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

IAI is developing his own "rockets in a box" version. Take a look at journal's page nr 8.

http://www.zinio.com/reader.jsp?issue=416099555

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

GPS and Laser Guidance is now down to all most any ammunition below 70mm.
    I had some good discussions as to the implications when I was at the IDF's Land Warfare Conference. The technology is there, but the thinking, as in implications has to be kept somewhat in check. 120 and 81mm Iron bombs still have great utility!
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

Wilf said:

The technology is there, but the thinking, as in implications has to be kept somewhat in check.
    I think this kind of shooting platform is ideal for inferior force in small battlespace, which has to carry out territory defence. You will get best "weight per kill" ratio and this is really "shoot and forget" solution. You just empty your container (that may selfdestroy itself in seconds) and switch to another previously hidden platform. You don't have to drag all that logistical tale with you.

Why would you care about weight if you don't intend to move it much?
    The price is much more important.

A container full of missiles is expensive enough to actually force an army to use it only at high value targets - and to avoid its loss.
    It mus not be left behind, even if broken communications or other factors prevent timely use of the missiles before their position get overrun.

It makes sense to think of this as a container on a truck - a mobile launcher.

Council Member

Fuchs said:

Why would you care about weight if you don't intend to move it much?
    The price is much more important.
    Good question. Maybe for consealment reasons (if bigger weight means bigger size) and cross country mobility questions ...
    What price is right price? Some occasions quality triumphs quantity.

A container full of missiles is expensive enough to actually force an army to use it only at high value targets - and to avoid its loss.
    The same thing can be said about other expensive stuff. You destroy your tanks, chopters etc that you can not evacuate. Last link with article about IMI rockets says that this is affordable at platoon level. My logic says that this must be cheaper than MRLS fire. Or not??

It mus not be left behind, even if broken communications or other factors prevent timely use of the missiles before their position get overrun.
    If you work out TTP that says "Abandon container and swith to another one, you leave it." How destroy it is another question.

It makes sense to think of this as a container on a truck - a mobile launcher.
    It depends how your forces control the battle space. Did Hezbollah drive around with their rocket plaforms during 2006 war?

WW2 is a better base for thought than Israel's meddling with paramilitaries in regard to Baltic defence, Kaur.

Council Member

Fuchs, would you motivate you argument that WWII is better example that 2006 war? Why shouldn't we learn from Georgian war last year?

Soviets didn't know the remedy against ATGM's in the 1982, when they were in top condition. I doubt that they know this today. New technologies like Netfire is even more sophisticated to counter. Gareev admits this here. this page is from book "Field Artillery and Firepower".

garejev.jpg (768 KB)