Thread: Netfires - Tube Artillery - MLRS

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

155mm is better represented by systems like PzH2000, M109A6 or Caesar than by the specialty gun M777.

---

Let's wait for what happens about the DPICM / cluster / dumb submunitions / explosive cargo round ban in 2009.

Large calibres are less efficient for fragmentation effect per HE round weight than small calibres like 90-122mm and today also larger than necessary for guided munitions (which work fine in 120mm+ and probably already with 105mm+).

A loss of DPICM would badly degrade 155mm performance (and also 227mm performance) and might lead to smaller calibres at least for the towed gun role.

---

I expect MRLs to turn into missile weapons (guided & long range - both easier with rockets than with shells).

My expectation for Netfires (or whatever is its current name) is that it'll be cancelled to save money.

I'm not so sure about the future of guns - inertia will likely keep 155mm the premier calibre, even though that probably won't be optimal.

Motars will stay what they are - albeit more often mounted than before.

Got my doubts about replacing the M777 - The King of Battle.

We've got Brits making them, Canadians buying them, and the Swedes (with their Iron Sled Bofors ) jealous of them.

Between the Excalibur guided projectile, the 777's reputation in Afghanistan, and the all too recognizable howitzer "report", she will never be replaced by a steel tube and grunts
    If you want to blend in, take the bus