I cannot agree more on this. In a SOF organization, the RIGHT fit is always the way to go. Technical or tactical competence only gets your foot in the door to the organization. If you're technically brilliant, but can't get along with others, you're going to pose a danger downrange. This applies not only to CSS but to combat arms officers integrating into SOF. Working and playing well with others counts for a lot when you have a small organization.

On support personnel: If the problem's at the supply end of the personnel pipeline, let's fix it. Staffing a GSB with a bunch of 82d alumni isn't always the answer. It's already been done, and it was done based on a faulty premise. We're living with it today.

PS: I've tended to look at the whole "grunt-me-combat-me-best, you-CSS-you-suck" to be a pretty emotionally retarded outlook. I know my fair share of tabbers that couldn't act like a grownup if their lives depended on it. If you're in charge of support guys, treat them and train them like your combat arms guys. If you're driving that wedge for sophmoric branch parochialism, you're part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by max161 View Post
Bob,

Second, I would offer that wanting the "best and the brightest" to go to SF/SOF is counterproductive and turns people against us as people think we believe we are entitled to the "best and brightest." I would submit that we are not "entitled" to the best and the brightest but what we really want are the RIGHT soldiers to fill these SOF enabler positions. We need a capable competent soldier who can work in a non-standard even unconventional environment who can support Special Operations.

Okay off my soap box for now.