It's not a code: they just assumed that they were entitled to some kind of kitwhore version of a fruit basket for getting off the aircraft. Cool kid gear is overrated, but I don't think they got told that before they left CONUS.

On food outside the wire: if you have med/vet people checking out local sources, that helps. If not, shoot for stuff that is thoroughly cooked. Bread is an awesome filler (and let me tell you the region has some excellent breads), and is usually a very safe bet.

The whole no-rank, first-name thing has been done for years by jackass SP4s in the CID community. You'll not likely be in a situation in which you need to do that (then again, most CID guys aren't, either, but they do it all the same). Just follow the lead of older folks who are in charge. BLUF: if you are looking over your shoulder a lot when you're doing it, it's probably not a good practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodoun View Post
Knives and watches? I'm not sure I understand that, is that code or something? Shouldn't everyone have a watch, and isn't some sort of knife/leatherman a good idea?

As far as other kit, I've never understood why people would want to carry all sorts of extra gear. If anything I'm going to buy the farm because I leave something behind because I dont want to carry it. The sterile ACUs thing I defintely get though for many reasons, the aforementioned protective measure, as well as the elimination of rank as a concern when working with centers of gravity.

I'm pretty set on the mellow part, and I'm quite comfortable with Arab customs, although I'm sure Iraqi customs are a bit different than Levantine ones. How do you guys handle being offered food and drink over there? do you just swig pepto all day and hope for the best?