Thread: An IW “Bottle of Scotch” Challenge

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default An IW “Bottle of Scotch” Challenge

Originally posted in the SWJ Blog by Frank Hoffman.
    All in all - the beginnings of a good debate. Yes, we need a definition better than what we have. Yes, concur with the point about populations (very COIN centric). But out of a dozen or so definitions that exist in the foreign literature, and the six or so developed by OSD, Army, Booze Allen etc, this is not an improvement. Sorry about that – so it’s back to the white board. I will put up a bottle of scotch to the best definition.
    KISS- Keep it simple stupid. I'll drink to that!!!

1. UW-us helping dudes take down a bad government. Broken down into components.

- 1a. Contact me on SIPR.
    - 1b. Contact me on SIPR.

2. IW- us helping a friendly government stop dudes from taking them down. Broken down into components.

- 2a. SFA- We give them big guns, ships, and planes to help smack the dudes, and we teach them how to use the toys.

- 2b. FID- We send a small SF team or MTT team to combat advise.

- 2c. Partnership (co-located)-Army unit (the current majority of US forces in Iraq/Afghanistan)- we live with them and help them stop the bad dudes.

- 2d. Partnership (not co-located)- Army units (Iraq 2003-2006) live in their land and stop by once a week to tell them how bad they suck at stopping the bad dudes.

- 2e. Training exercises- Army units embark on temporary duty to jump outta airplanes or drive tanks with our brothers, high five, and encourage them to stop the bad dudes. Army unit leaves with foreign jump wings or gives up stetsons.

Who's next?

v/r

Mike
    Last edited by MikeF; 12-20-2008 at 12:04 AM.