Quote Originally Posted by carl View Post
I am still old fashioned enough to think things like range, speed, altitude capability, number of missiles carried etc. are more important than how much the cpu wows the boys at Microsoft.
I agree with you on that. I should have been clearer in my statement. I have been wondering for some time if its avionics and targeting systems are superior. Given the time between their development and the rate of advancement, I would have to say that it is possible. In fact, if they are not, I am little curious if the F35 systems were held back in some way. Also, the better the c.p.u.'s are, the smaller and lighter the on-board computers will be. This enhances the fighter's capabilities as well as its durability.

I am also curious if the F22 is really far superior in maneuverability. Both fighters are capable of performing beyond the physical limits of the pilots. This means that the computers have to hold the fighters back from their full capabilities. If this is so, wouldn't both fighters be held to similar turning rates, etc.

As far as missiles are concerned, it is my understanding that the F35 is capable of carrying more than the F22. The F22's biggest advantage is its superior speed which gives the pilot the option of choosing when to fight. I don't know much about the stealth characteristics of either airplane. All I know is that the F22 is supposed to be stealthier. Is it stealthy enough that the F35 would have trouble targeting it? The F22 may be advanced enough to defeat superior numbers of F15 and F16, but I am curious about just how much it is superior to the F35.

Adam L