Thread: Public Affairs and Information Operations

Default Public Affairs and Information Operations

Public Affairs and Information Operations

By The Armorer - Cross-posted at Argghhh! and Small Wars Journal Blog

Public Affairs and Information Operations are seemingly competing and complementary missions and agendas, complicated by regulatory language created in a much different strategic communications environment, overlain with a frisson of the biases of persons of sensitive politics - from both ends of the spectrum.

The "Flies in Amber" and "Dueling Information Operations" posts, regarding the decision of CJT-101 to aggressively get ahead of a story out of Afghanistan have produced some discussion on the issue of Public Affairs and Information Operations. I for one have been pleased to see the change that started appearing when CJTF-82 was running the show has been continued, and arguably accelerated under Colonel O'Hara's CJTF-101 PAO section. I just wish they would write the stuff so as to be more readable and less stilted.

I invited Jack Holt, of the OSD Public Affairs office offer up his *personal* view on the subject as an insider. As that was done as a comment to a post, I decided to make it a post - and to post Cannoneer #4's response to Jack's comment, as a favor to my 60-odd Twitterers and those who follow the blog via Facebook and RSS readers, to see if we can't generate some more discussion on the topic...

Council Member

Related thread here gives background regarding the merging of PSYOP and PA mentioned in the discussion. At risk of tooting my own horn, I think I got it right in my comment on that thread.