Thread: Lieutenant General Victor H. Krulak

Default Lieutenant General Victor H. Krulak

Lieutenant General Victor H. Krulak

Via the Los Angeles Times - Lieutenant General Victor H. Krulak dies at 95.

"Retired Marine Lt. Gen. Victor H. "Brute" Krulak, celebrated for his leadership in World War II, Korea and Vietnam and for his authoritative book on the Marines, "First To Fight," died Monday at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla. He was 95 and had been in declining health for several years."

"In a career that spanned three decades Krulak displayed bravery during combat and brilliance as a tactician and organizer of troops..."
    Rest in peace General Krulak and our condolences to the family and friends of this great Marine.

May his last landing be peaceful and free from hostile fire.
    "On the plains and mountains of the American West, the United States Army had once learned everything there was to learn about hit-and-run tactics and guerrilla warfare."
    T.R. Fehrenbach This Kind of War

RIP, Sir. S/F
    Example is better than precept.

Council Member

A parting glass will be raise tonight to a great officer and outstanding leader. A man to be remembered.

I was sitting on a fallen log in a miserable, cold rainy night when trio of older Marines visited our little high spot in a very wet North Carlonia. The oldest saw that I had a canteen cup boiling water for coffee. He came over and asked if I could spare a little coffee for him. I replied, "50/50 right down the middle, Gunny!" He smiled and said thanks Marine and sat down on the log and we passed the cup back and forth til it was done. He thanked me again and wished me luck and he and the other two Marines he arrived with got in the jeep and moved on.

My company commander came over an asked what the General and I had been talking about. I said, "General?, Hell I thought he was a Gunnery Sargent!"

The Skipper said, "Nope, that was General "Brute" Krulak the Assistant 2nd Marine Div. Commander.

I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the man who didn't need to impress a wet and tired Marine Corporal with the power rank or reputation.

A good man gone!

Default Semper Fi General

LtGen Krulak, was an outstanding officer a gentlemen and a man after God's heart. The humbleness he demonstrated as a leader in a powerful position came from his close walk with the Lord. His son went on to become in my opinion one of the Corps' greatest Commandants.
    It does us well to reflect on his life and emulate his fine example. The world has lost a valuable asset. Too many leaders have lost sight that we are not god's of our own making, but a making of God. Heck even someone as vain and prideful as Patton realized that.

Semper Fi, LtGen Krulak

Default He was a pioneer, may he rest in peace.

I would imagine RJ that any general of Brute Krulak's calibre would undoubtedly be warmed by the fact that you mistook them for a gunnery sergeant of Marines.
    "What is best in life?" "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women."

Default more LtGen Krulak anecdotes?

I am working on a story on LtGen Krulak for a military pub and am looking for anecdotes and memorable quotes.
    If you would like to share yours, I can pull from here, but it would be easier if they were emailed to me, so that I can get your information for attribution.
    Thank you, in advance, for any who assist.

minxhalo did not provide an introduction, so I'll vouch, good to go, writes for US Marine Corps publication.

Default apologies

Sorry about that. Researching for the article and, as tends to happen when I'm writing, I hyperfocus and forget the niceties.
    I am a Marine at New River. I'm working on an article primarily for The RotoVue, but it will also run in The Flagship (CNRMA/Norfolk's newspaper) at minimum.
    Thank you!

Respectfully,
    minxhalo