Thread: East Africa & Von Lettow Vorbeck

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default East Africa & Von Lettow Vorbeck

Anyone know of any studies of this remarkable man ? I have read Asprey's "War in the Shadows " Chapter 19 and Miller's " Battle For the Bundu " but mostly brief references .

Col . Von Lettow Vorbeck was a tough . innovative master of bush warfare during World War I in East Africa .

Default here is a link

You are absolutely correct in recognizing the brilliance of the German campaign. The British Commonwealth effort to counter the Germans was tremendous and costly--exactly the end state desired by Berlin. Here is a link to a web site offering some references:

http://www.scuttlebuttsmallchow.com/gwbksafrica.html

But this campaign was fought against an African backdrop that until recently has largely been ignored. The use of conscripted troops and bearers was an economic and social disaster for the region's indigenous people; disease and famine were the results. Then again it was a time when colonialism was an accepted indeed acclaimed practice in the Western world. The history channel had a pretty good wrap up on this aspect of the campaign.

Best
    Tom

Thumbs up Low profile German general

The only book I have readily to hand on Lettow-Vorbeck is 'The Great War in Africa' by Byron Farwell (pub. 1987 by Viking). One of the few books on WW1 and Africa. Possibly re-published in paperback more recently.

I am sure there was an article on the failed British landing on the then German East Africa coast, in the Western Front Magazine recently. Cannot readily put my hand on that. The role of the commerce raider Konigsberg features irregularly in the WFA magazine.

Hope that helps.

David,

I have that book as well and it is a good read. I enjoy Farwell's stuff immensely. My favorite is "Mr. Kipling's Army."

Of couse Wilbur Smith's novel "Shout at the Devil" is a very loose story about the commerce raider and then there is The African Queen for even more pure entertainment.

Tom
    Last edited by Tom Odom; 04-11-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Council Member

Default East Africa

Thanks Tom and Dave for information .

Seems like there was another novel some years back which was pretty good , " Curse of Majira" .

An interesting field commander . I will find Farwell's book next.

Thumbs up Lettow-Vorbeck

One I ran across that is not real easy to find is called
    Guerilla by Hoyt, ISBN: 0025552104.

Also, a very nice online bio is at FirstWorldWar online:
    http://www.firstworldwar.com/bio/lettowvorbeck.htm

Not only was he a brilliant military commander but also a decent human being who opposed Hitler's rise to power.
    Mark
    Discuss at: The Irregulars Visit at: UW Review
    "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." - G. K. Chesterton