Thread: Obama Names Officials for Pentagon

Default Obama Names Officials for Pentagon

Via Reuters - President-elect Obama named four former Clinton administration officials to top defense positions, including former Pentagon comptroller William Lynn as deputy defense secretary. The other nominations are Michele Flournoy to become under secretary of defense for policy, Robert Hale as comptroller and Jeh Johnson to general counsel.

Default More...

Update: Obama Selects 4 More Senior Defense Officials by Ann Scott Tyson at The Washington Post and Unexpected Pick for Deputy Defense Secretary Suggests Gates Had a Say by Spencer Ackerman at The Washington Independent.

Council Member

Default Interesting and excellent choices

The DEPSEC, Comptroller, and Gen Counsel are all experienced technocrats. Michele Flournoy as USEC Policy is, IMO, a superb and brilliant choice. She has an excellent reputation as a superior; is sharp as a tack, and a really nice person. Reputation for hard work and team play. Given this linup, she is in an excellent position to succeed SEC Gates when he decides to move on. 3 cheers and a huge Hooah!!!!

Cheers

JohnT

Council Member

Default Sorry

Curb your excitement, JohnT. Ain't happ'nin'. This one is just in the "too hard to do" box. Next SECDEF will be a middle-aged male. May or may not be part of the Obama campaign/transition organization.

Wanna put something on it?

OBTW -- great game last night. (Somebody had to say it).

Quote Originally Posted by Old Eagle View Post
    Curb your excitement, JohnT. Ain't happ'nin'. This one is just in the "too hard to do" box. Next SECDEF will be a middle-aged male. May or may not be part of the Obama campaign/transition organization.
    You got that right. I'll bet he may also have been a former Comptroller at DoD too
    Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
    The greatest educational dogma is also its greatest fallacy: the belief that what must be learned can necessarily be taught. — Sydney J. Harris

Council Member

Default You guys may be right

but there is a good deal of time between now and when Mr Gates moves on. I'll keep a beer on Ms Flournoy - one only as I'm really a semi-retired academic/soldier.

Yeah, it was a great game. But in my old age, I went to bed at half time with visions of an OU victory in my head. Too bad daylight came and washed away my illusions. Or maybe I'm just a man with lots of illusions....

Cheers

JohnT

Council Member

Default Ok

But if you're right, then Clinton would have to go. There is no way on God's green earth that 2 of the 3 top international security posts would be held by females. And that's not bias on my part -- I love women! I'm just a grumpy old realist.

Inside The Pentagon is reporting that ASD SO/LIC & IC Michael Vickers will continue in his position until a successor is confirmed.