Quote Originally Posted by Surferbeetle View Post
From a 2007 FPRI article on Afghanistan by Greg Mills
His commandments make sense, a lot of sense -- BUT...

1. X - This is the US, our governing and electoral cycle is not conducive to long termism.

2. X - Sounds good. Now, if we can just figure out how to do that in very large, populous but still sparsely populated nation that has no economic viability in the western sense. There is little doubt he's correct but the difficulty of accomplishing that should be cause for considerable concern.

3. - That's probably doable.

4. - I do think we've got that one right...

5. I do not think we've got this one correct so far; we're getting there but it's taking far longer than it should.

6. Perhaps. I think that may offer a western perception of what's desirable.

7. Totally true on that one; hopefully we understand that. 'Metrics' are a trap and a waste. Or, more correctly, the way the US Army tends to apply them is not helpful...

8. - Believe the light is starting to dawn on this one.

9. Amen but I doubt we'll listen and apply to the extent we should. It's one of our weak spots.

10. X - Well said but more difficult to do. The resources will become problematic, patience will run out...

I make it 3 we are doing or can or will do; 3 we can't or likely won't do ; and 4 that we may or may not get right. I do believe that's what the Doctors call a mixed prognosis...