Ken,

Interesting find. We've had our run-ins, and I am not trying to pick any fights over my view of what we should do in Afghanistan v. yours. That is well rehearsed ground, and I would just as soon stay on good terms.

But I will point out one thing, and it is the phrase "securing large population areas." I haven't heard it expressed so succinctly and directly before because I would have thought there would have been a general reluctance to say exactly those words.

Why? Securing large population areas, i.e., limiting their work to large urban areas while leaving the rural areas relatively untouched, is exactly what the Russians did. That was their great failure. It's also exactly what we're doing (with rare exceptions where the COP is being implemented by Army, and also Marines in Helmand Province). Highway 1 is Taliban country no more than 30 minutes outside of Kabul in three directions.

Sadly, securing Kabul and surrounding area is also one major mission of the upcoming 30,000 troops.

At any rate, again, not trying to pick fights, just pointing out something that struck me about the words you cite. I'm glad that at least they are honest with what they see as their strategic intention, where you or I consider it right or wrong.

Best, HPS