Thread: Open Thread – Which US DoD Dinosaurs Would You Slay?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Open Thread – Which US DoD Dinosaurs Would You Slay?

After 30-plus years in this business; I’ve come to the conclusion many, many times along the way; that the Department of Defense, the Joint Staff, the Services, and associated activities have an abundance of antiquated and dysfunctional commands, organizations, offices, programs, and processes. Go figure. With two-plus wars, an ungodly optempo and shrinking resources we really cannot afford the excess baggage anymore.

I’d like to highlight some specifics in a potential Small Wars Journal article and SWJ Blog posting. I’d like this to be a Council effort and therefore asking our members to lay it out in this thread.

The ground rules are:

• Antiquated and/or dysfunctional commands, organizations, offices and processes that hinder progress and are high-impact. Not General Joe Blow “who didn’t get it” or a dysfunctional battalion in Operation ABC. Think big, critical, and long term.
    • Identify the problem, cite, and provide recommendations to correct – and be reasonable.
    • "Write" - don't ramble or bulletize.
    • For those who wish to remain anonymous – e-mail or PM me – as long as I can verify your authority to make such commentary and recommendations you can rest assured your identity “goes to the grave”.

That is all.
    Last edited by SWJED; 01-24-2009 at 11:47 PM.