Quote Originally Posted by Meh View Post
They still seem to rely too much on memory over deductive reasoning. If you could sell NGOs on such a decision making process, i.e. teaching their employees the humanitarian equivalent of the British Army's 7 Questions, that would be half the battle. If civilians and military were able to interface and explain "this is what we're doing and why" - and the other party actually understand what was being said and the reasoning behind it - you'd be taking one huge leap forward in interagency co-operation.
I'll just chip in with the fact that the 7 Questions do not work in a military context, and thus unlikely to succeed in a civilain. They are inherently flawed, and based on failure to properly teach planning and orders. There is an article of mine to this effect in the UK's Battle Notes, which upset a lot of Brigadiers, but was welcome by a lot of Captains.

In addition add that someone might want to challenge the idea that COIN is complex or that there is such a thing as a "complex" environment. It seem to be a limiting belief rather than a true or useful insight.