Thread: Helping Joe Understand the Locals

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I would submit this is not a training problem in the 82d, but a leadership one.

From my earlier article "Sisyphus and COIN"

10. Work through the host nation. This most basic of counterinsurgency tenets is often the most disregarded. Working with allies of varying levels of integrity and competence is sometimes a challenge. It is the host nation’s war, and only they can win it for themselves. Acting unilaterally on any line of effort undermines the overall goal of building host nation capacity and responsibility. We learned to work through transition teams to develop the host nation forces. We learned it was the conventional unit’s responsibility to mentor and train local forces, and build their confidence. One of the most transformative decisions I witnessed was when my commander, LTC John Tien, mandated that every combat patrol be executed jointly with local forces. The howls of protest were audible from the commanders, including myself.

We regarded the local forces as a hassle, inept, and security risks. Looking back, LTC Tien’s bold and unpopular action did more to secure the city than any other single decision. After months of working alongside our forces, local forces achieved some stunning successes which enabled the transition of security to the lead of the host nation. We learned in many respects the host nation is often more effective than our own forces in creating lasting security
    Last edited by Cavguy; 01-28-2009 at 11:52 PM.
    "A Sherman can give you a very nice... edge."- Oddball, Kelly's Heroes
    Who is Cavguy?