Thread: COIN & The Media (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I thought that just pertained to

Quote Originally Posted by Spud View Post
    You know us Aussies ... no respect for the old and feeble
    Poms???
    ... Every now and then someone over here brings up the idea of of the big E. Nothing like clearing a way to the top by knocking everyone off who's over the hill.
    However, now that you mention it, I do recall that as a 'Stryne trait, tall Poppies and all that...

And it's true here, too -- 'at's why I became retarded, to open some room for the less competent...

Default Guess this isn't sensational enough

SF Soldier becomes the first amputee to complete Jumpmaster Course
    By SFC Jason B. Baker

FORT BRAGG, N.C. (USASOC News Service Feb. 6, 2008) – For most Soldiers when they join the Army there are a set of schools they set their eyes on as goals to complete. Schools like, Air Assault, Ranger and Pathfinder. For any airborne qualified non-commissioned officer the natural goal would be the Jumpmaster Course.

For one NCO achieving this goal faced more than just a minor set back; but Sgt. 1st Class John (Mike) Fairfax, Special Forces Intelligence NCO, Headquarters Support Company, 3rd Special Forces Group (Airborne), became the first amputee Soldier to successfully complete the Jumpmaster Course, Nov.15 and performed his first duty Dec. 3.
    Link
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.

Default Odb,

It doesn't fit the "poor soldier as victim" narrative.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Or more likely, very few civilians will have sufficient context to understand what the Jumpmaster course is all about, and why it's such a big deal for an amputee to succeed at it.

Again, I return to my overly-long post above... let's not automatically ascribe malice to someone where lack of perspective or understanding is more accurate.
    Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

Default BayonetBrant,

Quote Originally Posted by BayonetBrant View Post
    Or more likely, very few civilians will have sufficient context to understand what the Jumpmaster course is all about, and why it's such a big deal for an amputee to succeed at it.

Again, I return to my overly-long post above... let's not automatically ascribe malice to someone where lack of perspective or understanding is more accurate.
    You, too, shall become a cynical old fart someday.
    John Wolfsberger, Jr.

An unruffled person with some useful skills.

Default Disagree

It doesn't play into woe is me crowd. I'm just glad finally it's published some where. 3 years ago I was on a scuba team, we were at the pool one morning where a guy was being blessed off to go back to a scuba team with one leg. He was being tested to see if he could still do it, guess what he passed. He is now at the SGM Academy......

Doesn't matter the context, any story can be told in way that the context is understood IMO.
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.