Thread: COIN & The Media (catch all)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default All true. We need to spend more time educating our

Troops than we now do. It would also help if DoD could develop a concise Pamphlet to assist in the education of the media types so they can use the terminology a little more accurately and understand to whom they were talking. No easy fixes on this one, regrettably...

Council Member

Dog eat cat?

Default I had a couple that would...

That was a few years ago. Today's Dogs are also kinder and gentler and just harass the Cats to distraction, they make no attempt to kill 'em.

I think that bullet on the slide alludes to the desire to become a really big name no matter what the cost to competitors or even one's own institution or organization (or, apparently from today's world, ones own ethics). Much as the 'dog eat dog' implies that seniority is not only not respected, it is to one's credit to trump a nominal senior or elder of the pack. It's the Columbia University School of Journalism's apparent answer to everything -- "me, me, me..."

Default Discussion now carried over to Foreign Policy...

... in our SWJ column This Week at War by Robert Haddick (Westhawk).

The military and the media - two scorpions in a bottle?

An anonymous journalist who covers the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan ventured onto the Small Wars Journal discussion board to ask the question, "How well have we incorporated the media into COIN [counter-insurgency] efforts?" The anonymous journalist went on:

I'm intrigued at how the media, especially our own Western media, seems to be treated differently than other players in the COIN fight. Many who are adept at co-opting former enemy fighters into their COIN strategy are quick to malign, insult or disparage media organizations who, like it or not, will be the ones telling the story to the local populace or those back home.

The media is clearly a part of COIN strategy at higher levels, but for some reason this view does not seem to have trickled down to lower levels to the extent that other COIN strategies have. I've heard many soldiers in Iraq tell reporters that they don't like the media in general or the reporter's paper in particular. I've never heard soldiers tell Iraqis that they just don't like that person's neighborhood, party or sect - even if they might feel that way privately. I think you can see this on these very boards: Many complaints about the media, very few complaints about the local populace or their organizations. This seems counterproductive.

This reporter's reasonable question was met with some impassioned responses from the Small Wars Council's combat veterans. The soldiers expressed their frustration with what they saw as the media's preconceived conclusions and propensity for distortion. One soldier noted the differences he personally witnessed in the media's behavior covering Bosnia (supportive of the policy) compared to Afghanistan and Iraq (not supportive).

The tempestuous relationship between the military and the media is both ancient and enduring. But it is also an issue that the U.S. military, and especially the Army, is now addressing in a thorough manner. Lt. Gen. William Caldwell, the commander of the Army's Combined Arms Center (a sprawling system of schools and training programs), has had his staff study the issue and prepare "how-to" manuals on media relations, written for soldiers in the field (see here and here). Chapter titles include such topics as, "Arab Media Interviews and the American Commander," "Breaking Through the National Media Filter," and "The Al-Qaeda Media Machine."

It remains to be seen how long it will take General Caldwell's efforts to reach down to the captains and sergeants now on patrol in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere.

Council Member

No commenting feature at the FP blog? Too bad. I'd be interested to see what perceptions are among the non-military readers of that site.

The State of Partachia, at the eastern end of the Mediterranean

Well as one of only two full-time defence analysts employed by a UK based news organisation during both A'Stan 01 and Iraq 03, I have lectured a far deal to military audiences on this. I'll paraphrase my main points,

a.) Engaging with the media comes at great risk of loss and very little of gain.
    b.) The media can and does invent stories with little chance of being challenged. They military cannot do the same.
    c.) In order to compete with the media, you need to make "information warfare," into "physical warfare." Physical restrictions are both legal, and workable.
    d.) Most US and UK military Media organisation are not fit for purpose, and those advising them mostly preach a doctrine beneficial to the media and not the military.

If media are part of a COIN effort, then they need to be "under command." If not "under command," they are a high risk liability.
    Infinity Journal "I don't care if this works in practice. I want to see it work in theory!"

- The job of the British Army out here is to kill or capture Communist Terrorists in Malaya.
    - If we can double the ratio of kills per contact, we will soon put an end to the shooting in Malaya.
    Sir Gerald Templer, foreword to the "Conduct of Anti-Terrorist Operations in Malaya," 1958 Edition

Council Member

I might add that the very topic of how well have we incorporated the media into COIN efforts plays about as well in the journalistic community as how well do we incorporate the military into whistle-blowing and critical investigative reporting would in the military....
    They mostly come at night. Mostly.