Thread: Weight of Combat Gear Is Taking Toll

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMA View Post
    OK thanks, David.

I guess we get to the question as to whether the British Army actually believe that a soldier can engage in any reasonably intense combat carrying the sort of loads you mention?

As a matter of interest how much water is included in that load you mention?
    About 3 litres.

And I would say regardless of what the Army thinks, attempting to carry out the Mission of the Infantry, to close with and kill the enemy, was impossible with the normal weight I'd carry on a patrol intended to last only 4 - 6 hours and that was just equipment.

Food was maybe 2 or 3 snack bar of some sort , wet/warm kit was a gortex jacket which I never wore.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by David I Evans View Post
    About 3 litres.
    Was this laid down or was it discretionary? Also were there any policies relating to water discipline?

And I would say regardless of what the Army thinks, attempting to carry out the Mission of the Infantry, to close with and kill the enemy, was impossible with the normal weight I'd carry on a patrol intended to last only 4 - 6 hours and that was just equipment.
    Then what is the point of the patrol? (if you can't get amongst the enemy if contact is made).

From books and anecdotes it appears that patrols left the FOB in company minus strength and moved until contact was made (initiated by the Taliban), an airstrike was called in and the patrol went back to the FOB for tea, with enemy casualties being ascertained by monitoring the Taliban radios. The question being asked is what was the point?

Food was maybe 2 or 3 snack bar of some sort , wet/warm kit was a gortex jacket which I never wore.
    Brew kit, got to have brew kit.

Banned

As there are some new faces around here this is worthy of a repost:

Donkeys led by Lions

We’re getting to a point where we are losing as many men making mistakes because they are exhausted from carrying armour (and the things that go with it) than are saved by it.