MNC-I CDR'S COIN GUIDANCE
21 JUNE 2008
Employ money as a weapon system. Use a targeting board process to ensure the greatest effect for each “round” expended, and to ensure that each engagement using money contributes to the achievement of the unit’s overall objectives. Ensure contracting activities support the security effort, employing locals wherever possible. Employ a “matching fund” concept when feasible in order to ensure Iraqi involvement and commitment.
I wanted to make sure that I got my sourcing right on that one. I am not suggesting GEN Patraeus has a simplistic view on how to use money. On the contrary, I think he probably understands it ten times better than me.

On the other hand, I think that his advice can be misinterpreted at times to be "if I give out money, then I will win the support of the populace." It goes back to the much-abused "soccer ball" jokes about civil affairs.

I'm just trying to garner a discussion about timing and conditions for effectively employing funds in a COIN environment tempered with accountability, discretion, and discernment.

IMO, we simply did not do this well in Iraq.

v/r

Mike