Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Class Analysis and COIN

Hi AP,

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    I had updated the ppt presentation I had sent to you to include additions to IPB and targeting.
    I wouldn't mind taking a look at it if you can toss it my way.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanPride View Post
    I think it will be most effective to add a new step (a new 'Step 2') to describe the social environment. This will provide a social decision template to map the relationship between the social factors and their influence on the decision-makers and their choices. In turn, this will enable both more accurate predictive analysis and 'structural targeting' aimed at the four foundations of the social structure (the hub of power, classes, the relationships between classes, and the relationships between classes and the hub).
    I'm going to play social theoretician here for a minute...

In order to have a predictive analysis capability, you need a database and a very clearly defined model. One of the problems with all types of "class" analysis (actually, that is a sub-set of ascriptive group analysis and tends to be very reductionist) is that they tend to be very poor at the individual level, so figuring out "their influence on decision-makers" will be extremely tricky.

You talk about "relationships" between various groups, but how are you structuring your categorization of "relationships"? This is really tricky, since such categorizations often assume cultural norms that can render an analytic technique useless or, at least, less effective, outside of the boundaries of that culture (or culture area). I'm thinking of one particular case in point where the Birmingham School of Cultural Studies model was disproven in the Canadian context (it don't work because "class" in Canada is extremely different from "class" in the UK).
    Sic Bisquitus Disintegrat...
    Marc W.D. Tyrrell, Ph.D.
    Institute of Interdisciplinary Studies,
    Senior Research Fellow,
    The Canadian Centre for Intelligence and Security Studies, NPSIA
    Carleton University
    http://marctyrrell.com/

I wouldn't mind taking a look at it if you can toss it my way.
    Not a problem. PM me your e-mail and I will forward it to you.

In order to have a predictive analysis capability, you need a database and a very clearly defined model. One of the problems with all types of "class" analysis (actually, that is a sub-set of ascriptive group analysis and tends to be very reductionist) is that they tend to be very poor at the individual level, so figuring out "their influence on decision-makers" will be extremely tricky.
    I've developed a rough draft model to illustrate the transformation from social context and relationships to decision-making. It's just might be good enough for government work! Of course, no model IMO can achieve 100% predictive analysis -- the real world is just too messy. The aim, though, is to provide a better contextual understanding of interests and motivations and how that manifests in decisions (in a COIN environment).

You talk about "relationships" between various groups, but how are you structuring your categorization of "relationships"? This is really tricky, since such categorizations often assume cultural norms that can render an analytic technique useless or, at least, less effective, outside of the boundaries of that culture (or culture area).
    The model I am developing doesn't explicitly include categorization for class relationships; it explains the relationship between class and what I've termed 'masks' and 'factions'. Though I think a implicit component of the model is that class relationships are systems of patronage. The extent and shape of the duties and priveleges are dependent upon the details of a specific society; and what classes exist in the first place, I would argue in extension, are dependent upon that society's 'hub of power'.
    When I am weaker than you, I ask you for freedom because that is according to your principles; when I am stronger than you, I take away your freedom because that is according to my principles. - Louis Veuillot