Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Bring your kids to your recall to active duty" day?

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by sapperfitz82 View Post
    So..is the modern family the broken system or is the Army?
    Precisely this.
    He cloaked himself in a veil of impenetrable terminology.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob's World View Post
    I haven't seen anything in the news on this (like there has been on the whole Stop-loss issue), but it sounds like we may be relying far too heavily on the legal strings we have on these vets and dragging them back in with what is essentially a draft, instead of doing the hard work to recruit non-vets to serve.

What say you, SWJ community? How prevalent is this?
    Very prevalent, from what I saw. Like your son, I made sure to stay in long enough to satisfy active and reserve time so as to not owe any further IRR time because I, apparently also like your son, wanted to retain some degree of certainty in my future plans. I reiterate, I did this so that I would not OWE any further IRR time. This is not "essentially a draft" and not some technical legal gotcha. This is a fulfillment of a well-understood obligation that we took without mental reservation or purpose of evasion - even if a few years down the line we wished that we hadn't. But I will add that my parents viewed the issue similarly to how you worded it. I didn't and still don't, but I'm not a parent.

Good on your son for planning ahead, rather than being among the many who ignore the commitment they incurred and whine about it later when Uncle Sam comes knocking to collect the time owed.

My only gripe about IRR is that it is counterproductive. I've seen guys come back who were out of service for two years. They remember nothing and they are treated like cogs on an assembly line. They go through a ridiculously inadequate train-up at some replacement center where their "training" is little more than a series of block checks. They are inundated with needless equipment, excessive paperwork, confusing guidance, and then end up doing some BS year of service that could easily be performed by an E3 on permanent profile. When it's done, they do the reverse of the same process and leave the Army with a bitter taste in their mouths and will surely never return. At least people who ETS for the first time often come back. I doubt IRR folks ever do because of how poorly they are treated.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    This is a fulfillment of a well-understood obligation that we took without mental reservation or purpose of evasion - even if a few years down the line we wished that we hadn't.
    Good Lord, now he's talking about contract law--with every day that Schmedlap goes to law school he sounds more and more like a lawyer. Pretty soon we'll be hearing ads on the radio--"Call Schmedlap for workers' compensation claims, workplace injuries, divorce, wills, DUIs, DWIs, less-than-Honorable military discharges. Call 1-800-PAY-BACK, that's 1-800-PAY-BACK ... and you know what payback is!"

Council Member

Default Pete, your 5 will get you my 10 if ....

we happen to see that "ad" from our boy Schmedlap in (say) the next 3 years. I'm betting I keep my 10 and take your 5.

Regards

Mike

PS: I also do very short-term advances of funds on a 6 for 5 basis - one of my unadvertised services.

Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Good Lord, now he's talking about contract law--with every day that Schmedlap goes to law school he sounds more and more like a lawyer. Pretty soon we'll be hearing ads on the radio--"Call Schmedlap for workers' compensation claims, workplace injuries, divorce, wills, DUIs, DWIs, less-than-Honorable military discharges. Call 1-800-PAY-BACK, that's 1-800-PAY-BACK ... and you know what payback is!"
    Three issues.

1) I was referencing our oath, not a restatement or code.

2) Most of my sentiment would find greater support from my father's no-nonsense, old-school notions of individual responsibility and "my word is my bond" personal honor than in any law. He can't even spell "restatement" and he'll be the first to tell you.

3) If I become a lawyer, my business model will rest upon the tried and true methods of low-cost marketing and maximizing inventory turn-over. Return customers are easier to keep than new customers are to obtain. A narrow range of specialized services can be provided with greater speed than a broad range of service. Therefore, I will exclusively focus upon no-fault divorce and DUI defense and I will offer customer loyalty cards like you get at the sandwich shop. Buy 4 no-fault divorces and your fifth one is free. Buy 3 DUI defenses and you get half off the fees associated with your parole hearing. No contingency fees, but free parking validation with all consultations, assuming you are still permitted to drive.

But, in regard to item (3), that's a very big "if."

Whoops, I neglected to add, "Call now! Operators are standing by to take your call!"

Council Member

Default The ad running at the upper right of SWC, ...

when I started typing this post, was:

Ask a Divorce Lawyer Now

26 lawyers are online now.

Ask a question, get an answer ASAP.Type your question here...
    Divorce Law (or select another specialty)
    Divorce Law (or select another specialty)
    General Practice Bankruptcy Business Law Consumer Law Criminal Law Employment Law Estate Law Family Law Immigration Injury Law Intellectual Property Military Law Real Estate Law Other ....
    It's all pervasive - you can't escape it.

Cheers

Mike