While ruminating about in the above subject matter area, I came upon a thesis by Colonel Peter A. Newell, "Preparing the strategic sergeant for war in a flat world: Challenges in the application of ethics and the Rules of Engagement (ROE) in joint / multinational / multicultural operations" (20 May 2008), which is online at www.dtic.mil/. Googling also works.

In the usual run of things, I end up reading materials by active and retired JAG officers, and by I Law professors (some of them are actually OK). It was refreshing to see this subject approached by an infantry / armor officer who has no apparent legal background in his bio.

The thesis has five parts:

Chapter I – Introduction

Chapter II – Doctrinal Review (a non-technical focus on: The Theory of Armed Conflict; US Policy and Law; Rules of Engagement; Commander’s Intent)

Chapter III – Situational Analysis (focus on his Analytical Model & Case Study – The Fall of a Warrior King) - discussed here at SWC in "Sassaman Interview"

Chapter IV – Training (focus on Institutional Training; Combat Training Center Program)

Chapter V – Summary and Conclusions (focus on Understanding the Law of War; Collective Training)
This is simply a good, practical article, which should be more relevant to combat officers than to armchair lawyers (though it certainly held my interest).

COL Newell also comes recommended by 120mm.

Its relevance to this thread is here:

Deploying brigade to test 'advise and assist' concept
May 01
By Gary Sheftick
WASHINGTON (Army News Service, May 1, 2009)