Thread: AfPak: an overview of Pakistan / Afghanistan

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Two pence

There is no chance IMHO that borders in the region will change, but I am aware that some see a "fix" in:

1) Granting the FATA full provincial status and integration into Pakistan
    2) NWFP losing any "oversight" of the FATA
    3) Afghanistan recongnising the Durand Line as the border

Apparently an idea that is floating around inside and beyond Pakistan. Not sure of the dynamics and practicalities from this armchair.

davidbfpo

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

Default We substantially agree here

I agree that FATA will have full Province status, that is a good thing in my book.

Afghanistan to recognize the Durland Line, this was the case under the late King (who died maybe a year ago. the ex-King called the Grand Jurga which helped kick off the current movement toward some version of democracy in Afghanistan after 9/11).

Your insights and awareness of some details in Pakistan/Afghanistan as a Brit...what did you do over there to have such good insight? When, what years?

Council Member

I think you are assuming that those living in the FATA want full province status and that the central government wants that as well. I don't think either is the case in reality.

As far as "uniting" Pakistan and Afghanistan, I can't see what problem that would solve, but can see many problems that it would create. Regardless, I think very few who actually live in those two countries (not to mention neighboring countries) want to see Pakistan and Afghanistan merged.

Former Member George L. Singleton's Avatar

It is the Pukhtuns who want FATA to have Province status. However, the abrupt abolition of the "Black Laws" is hardly a year old, and FATA is about as backward, tribally, as it gets over there.

I have weekly e-mail dialogue with folks in and nearby FATA, all Pukhtuns as the interactive website is a Pukhtun ethnic site, and their views to me, over and over, are what I am reflecting here, not some secret knowledge that I uniquely have.

Splintering is in vogue over there, not unifying, that I can safely say based on the revolts underway in Balcoshistan, Waziristan, FATA, and the NWFP.

Swat to me is somewhat unique as they did well under others rule and now are suffering murder and heinous crimes from other tribes which have nothing in common with the culture and heritage of native tribes inside Swat.