Quote Originally Posted by Ron Humphrey View Post
Dislike is rather often second string to fear so as long as a certain level of fear remains their dislikes are rather unlikely to get them off the fence. Seems like we've seen this before

Well no doubt the Paks know, question is what or how they decide to deal with it?
If fear is the thing holding them back, perhaps increasing local security would be the decisive thing to do. That is easier than changing the minds of the ideologically committed.

Judging by recent results, do the Pakistanis have any idea what to do and could they pull it off if they did? The ISI appears to know how to do insurgency, but does the army know counterinsurgency?

I remember once getting a small lecture by a Pakistani captain in a pizza joint in Kisangani, Congo (the Hawaiian, Tom and Stan. it's still there.). I asked why the UN just didn't hunt down and destroy the FDLR and all the various Mai-Mai groups, which were mainly bandits.

He explained to me how they had a superior understanding guerilla warfare and would proceed accordingly. I am skeptical of his assertion.