Thread: SOCOM and the CIA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
    What about that agency guy who wants his time on an ODA?
    I was thinking more along the lines of him working at the JSOTF, as a member of the JSOTF, rather than what I saw before - CIA working in coordination with, but not as a member of, the CJSOTF.

Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
    A lot of that friction is caused by trust or lack there of. Creditability is a huge one as well.
    I think this can be addressed with greater hybridization, not with less, especially in light of the experience you recounted. That's not to say that hybridization is the final or only answer. It seems to be "a" way.

Default I'll try

my best to articulate here where a lot of that friction is generated. By nature type-A personalities clash. Pride and egos run rampant among these two entities. Agree Ken, it is among all. In the case between SOF and CIA a lot of that is home grown. Guys leave the SOF community after a few years and go to the agencies (won't limit it to one 3 letter agency). They then end up back in country with an even bigger head, the ground branch ones are usually the worse. What you don't see is that 35-50 year old prior SOF guy, you see that mid 20's guy with an over inflated ego. On the flip side you may get that book geek who hasn't experienced much outside his office until that point. Yes you get the overinflated SOF guy ego as well. I don't think hybridization is the answer, I think it lies in training. Knowing who you may be working with, building those relationship. Don't get me wrong like everything there are good and bad, some I'm still in contact with today after years. Honestly from my stand point my business is about building personal relationships, if I can't do that among my own how can I with local nation people. It's a people business.

The one thing out of all this that I'm still debating in my mind about the two blending into one is the utilization of SF as the ground branch. Would like others thoughts and insights on that.

I have had multiple thoughts, discussions and the like on this whole report, haven't made up my mind yet, but becoming more territorial by the day.
    Last edited by ODB; 04-01-2009 at 04:43 AM.
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.

Default Marsoc

Doing a helluva lot of Googling these days, will get back with more questions in a few days. Some bold statements but researching.
    Last edited by ODB; 04-01-2009 at 04:45 AM.
    ODB

Exchange with an Iraqi soldier during FID:

Why did you not clear your corner?

Because we are on a base and it is secure.