Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
But later you argue:

Got it they want in the fight and the GWOT funds.......

No... nothing I explained above had anything to do w/funds, but had to do w/the USMC(as a whole, not MSOF) positioning itself, due to DOD policy shift, to remain the In-Extremis Force of Choice in lew of a SOF TF.

A very complex relationship, expecting no direct MAGTF relationship to the T-SOC's CT goals, but indirect in involvement thru 1) MSOC association & 2) improved relations due to the renewed USMC-SoCom Boards including planned institutionalization of USMC-SoCom/GPF-SOF Joint Training Excercises.

Quote Originally Posted by ODB View Post
This is where my heartache lies. Instead of developing a unit that would meet the needs that where identified above, a unit was created that would take the same role of units already in existence. Don't get me wrong, I scream daily where I am at, that we are not being utilized properly. This does not suprise me. We all have a role to play, unfortunately we do not play that role and think we need to play somebody elses role. We create units to have the same capabilities and tasks as units already in existence. We add other unit capabilities to units and mix match across the spectrum until no one knows who does what. I have no issue in the creation of capabilities that address shortcomings, but not to simply meet the changes in policy, money, whatever one wants to call it.

Well thats the thing, they didn't re-create anything, b/c MarSoc as a whole & the MSOC's in particular (when complete) will provide an Fwd Dep'd Expeditionary capability unseen in Tier II SOF.

Which is something mentioned in SoCom's Official Report done on DET-1 by the JSOU & authored by SEAL LtCmdr Mark Divine.

This was the whole purpose of providing the DET in the Proof MOA. To pre-empt development of a composite SOF unit fr/being Fwd Deployed at sea, inwhich SoCom would've been Recreating the wheel.

The Corps was saying, "Hey, we already do that. If you need to see it, here's what we can do." Hence MOA Proof of Concept... DET-1.

The DET, which I mentioned before, was based off a MEU(SOC)'s MSPF a Mini Self-Sufficient/Contained Expeditionary Task Force comprised of DA/SR, Intel(HumInt & Sig) including a Deep Battlespace Strategic Ground SigInt capabilty (RRT), C2, Fires & Air Deconfliction, Support, etc.

The report stated the DET demonstrated a Direct Action & Reconnaissance capability on par w/ Tier 1 SMU's and that the MSPF regularly deploys w/ support only seen in SMU TF's.

Singled out was the Intel units, who while only comprising 3% of the Intel assets slated for the CJSOTF in Iraq during that 6mth time period provided over 29% of the CJSOTF's Actionable Intelligence.

etc, etc, etc...

But thats off subject...

SoCom liked what they saw, & the USMC saw an opportunity to dig into SoCom's MISSION pie(MAGTFs by assoc. w/MarSoc), NOT their MONETARY pie; & positioned themselves accordingly.

In other News:
This is a very complex issue that can't be viewed by down talking unit contribution as simply copying or not copying.

MarSoc's overall planned capabilities can't be gauged by missions run in A'stan to date...

B/C without its planned TF Enabler Structure in place(still growing) & w/its Global Transpo (ARG/MEU Ships), doing squares off the Kuwait coast b/c the MEU is dry docked as the Iraq Theater Resr'v; MarSoc's not in a position to take up its planned role as an Fwd Dep Expeditionary strike force & therefore seperate itself in your eyes.

It is however gaining valuable time learning its new command's(SoCom) Op Structure & TTPs before operating Independently in the near future.

W/that said, I'd say it'd be about another 1-2yrs before you see MSOC's doing what they were actually designed to do.