Thread: Commonalities and lessons learned between gangs and insurgencies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Council Member

Default Commonalities and lessons learned between gangs and insurgencies

ALCON:

Seems to me after watching Gangland on The History Channel (great show on a great channel) that there are a lot of similarities between gangs and insurgencies...and a lot of lessons learned that can go both ways for counterinsurgents and law enforcement...does anyone know of any effort by the COINISTAS or DOD or anyone to reach out to the FBI or other bodies that have gang task forces to see what lessons can be learned/shared?

Thanks!

Default The answer is yes

Quote Originally Posted by tulanealum View Post
    does anyone know of any effort by the COINISTAS or DOD or anyone to reach out to the FBI or other bodies that have gang task forces to see what lessons can be learned/shared?
    But some departments would rather not be named (there's a love-hate relationship between the Federal Government and many State and local law enforcement agencies). Due to that, most of it is FOUO. But it has been and is being done by more than one DoD element.

Council Member

Thanks, Ken...glad someone is looking at it...I certainly have heard nothing of it and hope that something comes of it...

Would like to hear more about this--offline, probably be better--if anyone cares to share...

Default Previous thread

Try this for some indicators: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=6290 and http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=5082

There have been other threads and a quick search using 'Gangs' as the keyword found numerous matches, but on a skim there must be a dozen previous threads on the linkages. So take time to browse, there are some references and many comments. Lawvol, Slap and SGMGrumpy in particular have written on the theme.

davidbfpo
    Last edited by davidbfpo; 03-10-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Default PK=COIN - Introduce yourself please

Quote Originally Posted by PK=COIN View Post
    Would like to hear more about this--offline, probably be better--if anyone cares to share...
    PK=COIN,

Please introduce yourself on SWJ, within OPSEC and personal safety. The thread is: http://council.smallwarsjournal.com/...ead.php?t=1441 You will find others like to know who is asking for help and adding comments.

davidbfpo

Council Member

Does anyone know how the custom began of flashing one's headlights to inform other motorists about police cars lying in wait for speeders? This is something that predates the internet, cell phones, or other electronic mediums for quickly spreading a code or signal, so I surmise that it was spread by word of mouth or something equally non-technological.

What does this have to do with this thread? I suspect that similar signals are used in Iraq and Afghanistan that coalition forces are unaware of, but that are common knowledge to the locals.

Question Quite probably

Quote Originally Posted by Schmedlap View Post
    Does anyone know how the custom began of flashing one's headlights to inform other motorists about police cars lying in wait for speeders? This is something that predates the internet, cell phones, or other electronic mediums for quickly spreading a code or signal, so I surmise that it was spread by word of mouth or something equally non-technological.

What does this have to do with this thread? I suspect that similar signals are used in Iraq and Afghanistan that coalition forces are unaware of, but that are common knowledge to the locals.
    clothes hung on a line a particular way, kids playing a certain game or in a certain place, fruits or veggies set in a certain order. Nothing like word of mouth to turn the inane into operational tactics

as to your initial ? I remember when I was a kid being told about it in relation to big rig truckers,
    They flash lights to let you know when its clear to move over, or if someone's around
    Any man can destroy that which is around him, The rare man is he who can find beauty even in the darkest hours

Cogitationis poenam nemo patitur