Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a year or so now. I am graduate student in PhD program in sociology and one of my main areas of historical interest is the evolution of counterinsurgency. I am still learning the ins and outs of COIN (I don't have a masters, I am doing coursework, and won't start my dissertation for couple more years) so I probably can't contribute to much to the forum but I was hoping I might be able to get some guidance from this absurdly well informed bunch that frequents this site.

I am doing research for paper on the transformation in counterinsurgency as it parallels the shift from the patriarchal mode of national liberation (Vietnam, Algeria and other "classic cases") to network struggles dominant today. I've read the the famous RAND report and some other papers dealing with Iraq and Afganistan but I am hoping more the trace the development of "netwar," adaptive insurgency and the emerging COIN strategies that are attempting to confront these new struggles further back. I know on the insurgency side this shift begins with people like Franz Fanon and Amilcar Cabral and is fueled by the economic changes of "globalization" but I struggling to find any sources to help me on the COIN side before the RAND report. Anyone have any suggestions of sources to take a look at? Ideally I like to ground my paper in a case study from the late 1970s or the 1980s. Any suggestions there?

Thanks a lot...