Thread: AWG Brings Lighter Gear to Afghanistan.

Council Member

Default AWG Brings Lighter Gear to Afghanistan.

Lighter More Mobile Gear.

Now the Army is trying a new approach to lighten the load for troops patrolling the crags and mountain passes of Afghanistan. In a few weeks, a battalion’s worth of soldiers in Combined Joint Task Force 101 in Afghanistan will get scaled-down plate carriers, lighter plates, new packs and new boots, all intended to subtract at least 20 pounds from their 60- to 130-pound combat loads.
    Lighter Machine Guns, Too, Enter The Fray.

Army machine-gunners in Afghanistan are now going into battle carrying the MK48, a special operations forces weapon that’s 30 percent lighter than the standard M240B machinegun.
    I'm sure that Ken will mention his concerns about the durability of the Mk 48. Not sure why they didn't go with a version of the M240E6. It weighs 23.5 pounds. And they could take a few more off, if the USMC Thermally Stable Machine Gun Barrel RFP bears fruit, which I am inclined to believe it will.

Default Heh. You said it so I don't have to...

And I could be wrong...

We'll see, I guess. Can't get to your link, log in required and I refuse to support the incompetence of Gannet but hope the linked article mentioned all the political games played with that test -- particularly the foolishness with the plate carriers...

Ken - if you need a login for somewhere you'd rather not register, you could see if there's a password on file at www.bugmenot.com

Just an idea
    Brant
    Wargaming and Strategy Gaming at Armchair Dragoons
    Military news and views at GrogNews

“their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of ‘rights’… and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure.” Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers 1959

Play more wargames!

Default Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

With Gannet, my dislike is intense based on their willful ignorance coupled with a preachy attitude , so I'll try not to even give them the benefit of a single page view...

Quote Originally Posted by SethB View Post
    Lighter More Mobile Gear.

Lighter Machine Guns, Too, Enter The Fray.

I'm sure that Ken will mention his concerns about the durability of the Mk 48. Not sure why they didn't go with a version of the M240E6. It weighs 23.5 pounds. And they could take a few more off, if the USMC Thermally Stable Machine Gun Barrel RFP bears fruit, which I am inclined to believe it will.
    To be noted, the M240L or (m240e6) is seeing it's time in Afghanistan as of now. Though very limited.

Have you seen anything on the LSAT, it uses caseless 5.56 and there is another model for a 7.62 version to replace to 240.
    Last edited by ZoneOne; 06-02-2009 at 02:33 PM.